Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Atom based 3D technology.
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Atom based 3D technology.

As long as it becomes more effective than polygon rendering it might have a chance. Well, we'll have to wait and see...

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
12-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(12-12-2011, 10:06 PM)Scraper Wrote:
(12-12-2011, 09:45 PM)nackidno Wrote: Outcast used this technology, and it's almost ten years old I think.

I have never actually played it more than 15 minutes.
And that was like... when I was 10 or something.

Anyways, I am also a little skeptic about the unlimited amount of data.
But if this technology is been used and it works (at least somehow), then why nobody uses it today - if it's as good as they say?
Maybe its not because its good or bad but it was simply not that much worked on at the time... and again as they said in another video... they tryed to join todays major graphic card companys such as Nvidia but they refused... why? because of a similar reason to todays world's major energy source: OIL! what do this things have in common? well oil is todays most used fuel... so many companys are depended on them so they are now developed and specialized to it... so imagine if you found out that cow poop is a better fuel to all of us to use. why would they start useing cow poop if it is still very young and not very worked on tecnology? and on top of that if they are already dependent to oil and people actualy buy it in massive numbers... why would they want to change?
the same thing happans whit nvidia, but intsead of oil... there are polygons... and instead cow poop... there is unlimitated point data (btw i am not saying unlimitated point data is cow poop... i actualy think its the next step on games)

thats what i think at least :/
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011, 01:47 AM by Danny Boy.)
12-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Danaragon, I should agree with you. But you have honestly to take these dirty thoughs of your mind. Who in hell wants to give an example and the first thing that comes to his head is Cow Poop? Big Grin

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
12-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(12-13-2011, 01:35 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: Danaragon, I should agree with you. But you have honestly to take these dirty thoughs of your mind. Who in hell wants to give an example and the first thing that comes to his head is Cow Poop? Big Grin
i was (am) tired... my mind isn't working as it should D: its like 00:40 in here and i really should go to sleep >3<

... cow poop... hahaha...
12-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(12-12-2011, 09:45 PM)nackidno Wrote: Also, there is no way that this technology can store unlimited details or unlimited points, because then you would need unlimited storage to store the data, which is impossible. This whole project have lots of potential, but it's presentation is so flawed and inaccurate with it's information that it's just silly and laughable.

If i understood the video correctly, it wouldn't need unlimited amount of memory. All it's doing is converting polygons to "unlimited point cloud data."

They said they were getting about 20 frames a second "on software;" i find that slightly impressive since that implies the CPU is doing all the rendering. So you can only imagine the performance gain if the GPU was doing most of the work.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
12-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

My Computer as a tendency to catch up with the details. But don't you forget that they have a tendencie to tell just one part of the story.

12-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(12-13-2011, 01:45 AM)Danarogon Wrote:
(12-13-2011, 01:35 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: Danaragon, I should agree with you. But you have honestly to take these dirty thoughs of your mind. Who in hell wants to give an example and the first thing that comes to his head is Cow Poop? Big Grin
i was (am) tired... my mind isn't working as it should D: its like 00:40 in here and i really should go to sleep >3<

... cow poop... hahaha...

I do come up with pretty much the same explanations mostly because they are easy for me to understand. I just don't get why others won't take it seriously if I tell similar example. Tongue

Anyways, I was thinking about that it's money behind all of it - like always...

12-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Yes, and they've received a 2 Million funding last year. Something they must be doing.

12-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(12-13-2011, 01:47 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(12-12-2011, 09:45 PM)nackidno Wrote: Also, there is no way that this technology can store unlimited details or unlimited points, because then you would need unlimited storage to store the data, which is impossible. This whole project have lots of potential, but it's presentation is so flawed and inaccurate with it's information that it's just silly and laughable.

If i understood the video correctly, it wouldn't need unlimited amount of memory. All it's doing is converting polygons to "unlimited point cloud data."

They said they were getting about 20 frames a second "on software;" i find that slightly impressive since that implies the CPU is doing all the rendering. So you can only imagine the performance gain if the GPU was doing most of the work.
But the thing is, if there are unlimited points that build up the models the point position must be stored somewhere, and since there's an unlimited amount of points, you need unlimited amount of storage to store the point data, which is impossible. It's the unlimited part that bugs me, because it can't be unlimited.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
12-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(12-13-2011, 02:14 AM)nackidno Wrote: But the thing is, if there are unlimited points that build up the models the point position must be stored somewhere, and since there's an unlimited amount of points, you need unlimited amount of storage to store the point data, which is impossible. It's the unlimited part that bugs me, because it can't be unlimited.

I'm not sure it is safe to assume that a lot of memory is required for such a thing. Granted, i have no idea how much memory it takes to convert even one mesh to "unlimited point cloud data," but duplicating the object several times without having to reallocate memory for the duplicates is very much possible, and i hear DirectX has already accomplished such a task. So you can have over 10 of the same objects but you'd be taking up about as much memory as one of those objects. We already know of games like Arma that are capable of rendering HUGE environments on-the-fly without having the system run out of memory. So i would expect something similar or better for what is shown in the video.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
12-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Website Find