Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

Quote:I haven't personally played Dear Esther, but it seems more story based than horror.

Well that's because, it is. However, there is a surprising amount of creepiness to the game. It's very surreal and unsettling. There are extremely subtle ghost appearances that can be pretty effective to the unexpected. And just, the general sound and atmosphere. It shows their ability to craft horror without it being the forefront of the experience.

Korsakovia was a full on horror title, and that mod was pretty damn eerie and even terrifying at points. Just, in a very different way than Amnesia. The point is, TheChineseRoom is capable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G82gsWxhB-s&t=3m40s (a clip from Korsakovia)
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

People should note that Korsakovia and Dear Esther were made as experiments. They were purposefully pushing the edges of what people might think is good in games or not. Like Korsakovias horrible level design, sounds that just hurt your ears, only one monster which was spammed (like grunts'n brutes in Amnesia custom stories) and Dear Esthers total lack of interaction and incomprehensible story.

I wouldn't be afraid of The Chineserooms and Frictionals co-operation. Just by looking at Frictionals and Dan Pinchbecks thoughts and ideas through blogs and stuff its clear they have similar experimental thoughts and ideas.

If you want to delve deeper into their thoughts:
Dan Pinchbeck's lecture
Frictional blog

02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Find
Sebatiger Offline

Threads: 9

DOES ALL OF THIS NEED TO BE ON THIS THREAD?

Seriously though, this thread only was supposed to be for the ARG, if you want to argue over the next game, go make a thread about it, otherwise leave.
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-27-2012, 03:38 PM)Sebatiger Wrote: DOES ALL OF THIS NEED TO BE ON THIS THREAD?

Seriously though, this thread only was supposed to be for the ARG, if you want to argue over the next game, go make a thread about it, otherwise leave.
No, it wasn't. In fact Palistov (the OP) said he made this thread for discussion of the new game, it's just when the ARG happened it kinda got taken over. If anything all the discussion over the ARG had nothing to do with this thread.

Posting Freak
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Website Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

(02-27-2012, 03:38 PM)Sebatiger Wrote: DOES ALL OF THIS NEED TO BE ON THIS THREAD?

It's just a bit of banter. Look at the title of the forum. Was never just about ARG. It's about the next title with Frictional Games and TheChineseRoom. If it bothers you that much, why do you keep coming back and making a post complaining about the thread.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Find
sarcinelli Offline

Threads: 4

(02-27-2012, 01:09 PM)Kein Wrote:
(02-26-2012, 05:28 AM)TheGrandHero Wrote:
(02-26-2012, 04:21 AM)Kein Wrote:
(02-25-2012, 07:21 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: Retail, anyone? I sure hope so... Would love to put this in my best friends trick or treating bag Big Grin

I have a bad feeling about this. Doubt it will get retail/box release, most likely Steam/Frictional store only.

That and... well, remember what happened when Amnesia 1 got a box release? I mean seriously, look at that. What happened?

Okay, what I'm looking at and what I'm supposed to see?
The silly cover art :p
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM by sarcinelli.)
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

As already pointed out, the thread is about the next Frictional game. The ARG is over, not much more to discuss there. It's announced to be a title in development by TheChineseRoom with Frictional games in the role of "producing". Discussing the work of TheChineseRoom and Frictional is very relevant at the moment, given lack of any other information.

Quote:I wouldn't be afraid of The Chineserooms and Frictionals co-operation.
Just by looking at Frictionals and Dan Pinchbecks thoughts and ideas
through blogs and stuff its clear they have similar experimental
thoughts and ideas.

If you want to delve deeper into their thoughts:
Dan Pinchbeck's lecture

And thank you for posting that. It was, really fascinating. I've always understood the background of their projects was in research, but I didn't get it to this extent. I really enjoyed watching that and hearing Dan's thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Find
HeartCore Offline

Threads: 0

I need a new set of underwear =))
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Find
Tapetenmetzger Offline

(02-27-2012, 04:48 PM)Nyarlathotep Wrote:
Quote:Dan Pinchbeck's lecture
Thanks for that link. Very interesting lecture.
02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Website Find
Adrift Offline

RE: Amnesia A Machine for Pigs sound design

Hey Sam, im really happy that you are on the developers boat for the Amnesia sequel. you did some incredible sound for Dear Esther.
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Find