Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

(02-13-2012, 12:05 AM)xdeath Wrote:
(02-12-2012, 09:20 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: As I recall nobody said Fatal Frame was bad and/or not scary, you are the one hating, on Amnesia.

And Amnesia's monsters are threatening. They are faster, stronger, and the player has no option to fight back.

They could show up at any time, in any place. The player feels vulnerable.

The player is discouraged from looking at them. So the players mind fills in blanks, with things that scare them the most.

If and when the player does get a look. The monsters are grotesque mutilated, twisted versions of humans.

Makes the player feel revolted, and wanting to get far away from the monster.
1. I never said anything in the context of hating on Amnesia. I said I don't find it scary. Is the only goal of this game to make you feel scared? If that were the case, it would have failed. But no, it's still fun, even though it doesn't scare me. I said that several times. People get pissy about me not being a scaredy cat.
2. The monsters aren't very scary looking to me. They just look like goofy big guys with claws, or occasionally with swords, etc. Nothing I haven't seen before.
3. The monsters growl like 5 minutes before you see them, they don't see you if you don't look at them or move, they are usually slower than you, they can be stunned if you throw stuff at them (except for brutes, but they'll pretty much kill you when they're around and there isn't anything you can do about it), and looking at them has no real consequences, just imaginary consequences because all you do is lose your "sanity", which comes back in no time. I have a video where I literally stare at one grunt for like 5 minutes while he stands in one place slapping a doorway. I stand there, my guy lays on the ground for a moment, I get back up, and the process repeats, but the monster is no closer to attacking me. So I just ran away and the monster chased me for a bit, but never caught me.
The only "weakness" you have in this game is the level of fear you allow yourself to give into. Daniel is able to fight and survive if you play like a man.

02-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(02-13-2012, 12:17 AM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: 1. I never said anything in the context of hating on Amnesia. I said I don't find it scary. Is the only goal of this game to make you feel scared? If that were the case, it would have failed. But no, it's still fun, even though it doesn't scare me. I said that several times. People get pissy about me not being a scaredy cat.
2. The monsters aren't very scary looking to me. They just look like goofy big guys with claws, or occasionally with swords, etc. Nothing I haven't seen before.
3. The monsters growl like 5 minutes before you see them, they don't see you if you don't look at them or move, they are usually slower than you, they can be stunned if you throw stuff at them (except for brutes, but they'll pretty much kill you when they're around and there isn't anything you can do about it), and looking at them has no real consequences, just imaginary consequences because all you do is lose your "sanity", which comes back in no time. I have a video where I literally stare at one grunt for like 5 minutes while he stands in one place slapping a doorway. I stand there, my guy lays on the ground for a moment, I get back up, and the process repeats, but the monster is no closer to attacking me. So I just ran away and the monster chased me for a bit, but never caught me.
The only "weakness" you have in this game is the level of fear you allow yourself to give into. Daniel is able to fight and survive if you play like a man.
... so, what you saying the rest of us are not "manly" enough.
Sorry, but I was talking about the psychology of horror.

Maybe you went into the game in the wrong mindset.
Maybe you couldn't empathize or sympathize with Daniel.
Maybe we are all scared by different things. I'm didn't find Dead Space scary(apparently some people did).
But, everyone I know says, The game scared them, they were to scared to finish, or they were to scared to play.

Whatever was the reason, you probably shouldn't post that the game didn't scare you in a forum dedicated to it. Populated by fans of the game.
02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

"Whatever was the reason, you probably shouldn't post that the game didn't scare you in a forum dedicated to it. Populated by fans of the game."

That hardly seems fair, don't you think? "Don't tell us you have a different opinion, we won't like it."
It occurs to me that I don't need you people to give a damn about what I think anyway. If you want to be haters, be haters. It won't change my mind no matter how much you want me to.

And yeah, Dead Space wasn't very scary. It had a lot of jump scares, but that gets old fast and stops being scary.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM by Vithcommalobsel.)
02-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

His loss if he don't get it, guys.
02-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

not really. It's still a fun game even if it didn't scare me. It has a good story, great mechanics, fun puzzles, and lots of fun things to do on the side...like messing with the monsters for luls.
When they make an Amnesia 2 with scarier, smarter monsters, it'll probably scare me more.

To be perfectly honest, I think many people only think it's scary because they saw someone on Youtube screaming like a girl while playing it.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 01:00 AM by Vithcommalobsel.)
02-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-13-2012, 12:43 AM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: "Whatever was the reason, you probably shouldn't post that the game didn't scare you in a forum dedicated to it. Populated by fans of the game."

That hardly seems fair, don't you think? "Don't tell us you have a different opinion, we won't like it."
It occurs to me that I don't need you people to give a damn about what I think anyway. If you want to be haters, be haters. It won't change my mind no matter how much you want me to.

And yeah, Dead Space wasn't very scary. It had a lot of jump scares, but that gets old fast and stops being scary.
It's not that you have a different opinion, it's that you're undermining the whole point of the game! Frictional's whole point in creating Amnesia was to create a deeply immersive game, and you come in here and go all "LOL screw that, lets throw boxes n' shit!" so of course people will get mad.

Posting Freak
02-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Website Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

(02-13-2012, 12:55 AM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: not really. It's still a fun game even if it didn't scare me. It has a good story, great mechanics, fun puzzles, and lots of fun things to do on the side...like messing with the monsters for luls.
When they make an Amnesia 2 with scarier, smarter monsters, it'll probably scare me more.

To be perfectly honest, I think many people only think it's scary because they saw someone on Youtube screaming like a girl while playing it.
But it is your loss. Personally, I don't give a single flying fuck that you aren't scared by Amnesia, but what I am doing here is trying to help you get a proper experience from it. Enlightenment, so to speak. I've tried my best to make you understand, but you don't, and that's chill. Once again, it is only your loss.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
02-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(02-13-2012, 12:43 AM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: That hardly seems fair, don't you think? "Don't tell us you have a different opinion, we won't like it."
I(can't speak for everyone here) don't go onto Justin Beiber fan club forum, and post about how much I hate him. I don't go to Atheist/Muslim/Catholic forums and post about how I think their beliefs(or lack there-of) is/are wrong. My opinion is not wanted and stating it would make me look like a douche.What you did was called trolling. You knew EXACTLY what reaction you'd get, and you wanted it.
So you get everyones attention and say something like this:
(02-13-2012, 12:55 AM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: To be perfectly honest, I think many people only think it's scary because they saw someone on Youtube screaming like a girl while playing it.
To be honest, men(?) screaming like girls while playing the game is a turn off, fun for the first little while until Pewdiepie started making shirts.
To be fair(?), Amnesia is considered the scariest game ever made. And the Majority of players were scared by it. Because you were not, doesn't change a thing. A lot of people have Arachnophobia some don't, spiders are still scary to a lot of people.

To be honest, you made yourself look like a douche. Not saying you are, but that's the way you made it look.
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

I think the problem here is something that most of you missed, that being that we have someone who implied that a scary moment was really just a jumpscare. We don't have a horror-lover on our hands, we have an adrenaline junky.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
02-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Everyone, if he was not scared by the game, please let it go. Stop getting upset about it. Not everyone has the same fears and he has the right to say his opinion. While I am disappointed by the fact that he isn't scared and he could not enjoy it the way it was implied, I do not mind it. I don't expect everyone to fear the same way. And please don't argue, this is something meaningless to argue over, really. There has been a ton of hate and bickering in the forums lately...

I appreciate you taking the time to speak your mind, I will take it into account when making my stories.
02-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Find