Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

1) Immersing yourself in this game is NOT about playing at night, alone, with a headset, and with no lights on. That just helps you immerse yourself.

2) You "not being scared" by Amnesia proves nothing about your manliness, just as "being scared" by it doesn't make you a coward.

3) Most people here are trying to help you enjoy the game you (hopefully) purchased.

4) Nobody really cares about what other things scare you. We do care that you claim Amnesia is not scary at all, when it is widely considered one of the most frightening games ever created. There are plenty of gamer and player reviews to support this, as well as videos and images all over the internet, all referring to Amnesia as the ultimate horror video game experience.

5) There's no way you can prove that people are only scared by Amnesia because they've seen other reaction videos. There are plenty of people who can say they went into Amnesia with no prior knowledge of its effect on other people, myself included.

6) "Messing with monsters" is not a side-activity. Their existence in the game is not critical to the game in terms of providing a survival horror experience. There are plenty examples of gut-wrenching moments in the game which have no monsters at all. The fact that you think messing with monsters is a part of the game only proves that you are not even close to approaching Amnesia in a manner that would let you truly experience it. That's like someone buying and playing Minecraft and complaining that the game is crap because blocks can float in mid-air. AKA You're missing the point.

7) Monsters have stupid AI on purpose, it was discussed in the developer commentary. They developed them that way. And I believe there is a post in Frictional Games' blog about it. Could be wrong on that last one though.

8) 90% of this game depends on you, the player committing yourself to actually experiencing it.

9) If you did not whimper/scream/cry in fear, you've never played Amnesia.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM by palistov.)
02-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Can we fucking drop it
02-13-2012, 03:11 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I think everyone has really been trying to defend Amnesia, as Amnesia wouldn't really be much if it wasn't scary... And because the OP is one of the only people to say it doesn't scare them, it seems like he's putting the game down if you know what I mean.

From reading everything... The OP has played Amnesia to a winning tactic (I.E taking advantage of enemies poor A.I) I wouldn't call that immersing yourself properly.

When I play horror games, I don't shout or scream out loud which people tend to do on videos... Instead I show my fear through sweat, loss of stability, and my heart pounds. And Amnesia makes me do all of those. If it doesn't make you do any of those then I have no idea what has gone wrong.

[Image: luv.gif]
02-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Threads: 6

I don't get why people are under the impression that I'm not enjoying the game by playing it how I want to play it. I actually made it a point to say that it was a well made, fun game with lots of replayability. Just because I said it didn't scare me, you guys went apeshit. That's kind of hypocritical of all of you, right? There are some really well done custom games, anyway. The mains story is just meh.
White Night is how all Amnesia should be.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM by Vithcommalobsel.)
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Find
ZraloK Offline

Threads: 1

Well played OP, title of thread was easily meant to obtain attention and "trolling" and here we are.

Touche salesman

P.S. glad you find it fun as hell cause it is, try them CS's maybe one can scare you.
WARNING: their tactics can be cheap XD

"Death is light as a feather, duty is heavy as a mountain."
--Rand Al'Thor
02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Like I said, I love White Night. Many of the others seem hobbled together and, as you said, full of cheap jump scares.
and the title wasn't an attempt to troll. I was just being honest. For some reason, people get offended by alternative opinions about a video game. I could just be like the guys making LP's and pretend to be scared to get easy views...because many have told me personally that they're just playing up how scared they are to give people the reaction they want.
02-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Amnesia is not entirely scary.

Let me explain, Amnesia creates fear and an experience. Scary is a "jumpscare" such as a door breaking right when you close it or something. Fear is a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or being imagined. It's the feeling of being afraid. The game creates various other things, but the main thing is an experience. To get this "experience", you immerse yourself fully. Your not pretending anything if your immersed; in this case, you are Daniel (not playing as him) and you need to kill Alexander and you only have one life. Otherwise, if your not Daniel, you haven't immersed yourself, period. Although, not everyone will be as afraid as anybody else, at least you'll get the experience and you don't have to think it is "scary" or not, just enjoy the experience, which it looks like the OP has done.

Insanity. Static.
02-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

^ thank you.
This is the point I'm trying to make. Just because I'm not freaking out about every little thing in the game meant to scare people doesn't mean I'm trying to insult stuff either guys.
I thought the story was really well done and interesting. Funny at times, tbh. Agrippa is pretty hilarious in every way. Are you telling me the whole talking head thing was so scary you guys hid in the corner and had to turn of the game? I was playfully talking back to him because I was so infused into the character of Daniel.
02-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Find
ZraloK Offline

Threads: 1

(02-13-2012, 11:46 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: Like I said, I love White Night. Many of the others seem hobbled together and, as you said, full of cheap jump scares.
and the title wasn't an attempt to troll. I was just being honest. For some reason, people get offended by alternative opinions about a video game. I could just be like the guys making LP's and pretend to be scared to get easy views...because many have told me personally that they're just playing up how scared they are to give people the reaction they want.
Oh missed the postings about you and CS's and yea but I [edit: don't get people getting] so offended either..

All I'm saying is on every forum there are thread titles that seem to be meant to stir the waters, and I expected 10 or so pages of "FFFFUUUUU" replies for this one lol

And I count jump scares as scaring me (I know not everyone does) but jump scares stick with me for 10-15 seconds, and I have to regain a steady breathing Sad

(02-14-2012, 12:02 AM)Juby Wrote: Your not pretending anything if your immersed; in this case, you are Daniel (not playing as him) and you need to kill Alexander and you only have one life. Otherwise, if your not Daniel, you haven't immersed yourself, period.
^this

i.e. at the third water monster part (long windy chase), I wasn't thinking "Let's go Daniel time to run", I was thinking (as my face was 4" from the moniter) "Is this a dream, why can't I run faster!!!"

"Death is light as a feather, duty is heavy as a mountain."
--Rand Al'Thor
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2012, 12:42 AM by ZraloK.)
02-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-13-2012, 03:11 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Can we fucking drop it

Posting Freak
02-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Website Find