Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Amnesia Custom Story: Guide to Horror / Do's and Don't for Scaring Players

(04-06-2012, 02:12 PM)flamez3 Wrote: I'm sorry, I don't know how people can come to these forums, make an account, go to a sub-forum and then tell people how to make a custom story. I don't see myself bitching, I am telling people to stop bitching.

With the recent outburst of these threads I have been less and less inclined to post in them... And I have. I simply ignore than as foolish and immature. But after every 2-3 threads have been made stating the exact same opinion and the same exact people agreeing with them it gets a bit hard to let it go.

It's just... really hard to see people so concerned on what other people are doing with their maps... that they feel like it's their place to tell them how to make theirs. As I said, grow up... this will continue for a long...long time and there is nothing you can do about. Unfortunately.

P.S: And on a side note you have 666 posts :o

P.P.S: Show me one post of me bitching about the outcry of people making threads about this.
Well, each to his own (as previously stated in the thread), but I have seen people pump out stories much faster than I make a single map. When threads like these arise I see them as a good thing, hoping that it will make people more aware of building a good map, not that it should take a lot of time - but there are a lot of things to think of when making a story.

These threads are not forcing anyone to make their map in a certain way. Hopefully, someone, when reading one of these threads will stop and think - and maybe, just maybe create something which in the end is a little better than it would have been.

Just look at HL2 modding. Amnesia is at a sandbox level compared to that.
(One example of a really cool one:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mindworld-shat...s#imagebox)

P.S
Yeah hehe :>

P.P.S
(04-06-2012, 04:07 AM)flamez3 Wrote: Just grow the fuck up, no one is going to change because you are but hurt. Now gtfo.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

I'm all for helping people. Especially when they ask for it, and Especially when it is in the right place. But no one has asked...It's kinda like my Mystery Chapter 2 thread. I updated the download link and then out of the blue, a full-blown discussion on what makes Amnesia scary and how to make a good Amnesia custom story was going on my thread...for no reason? I didn't ask for it to be there, and once I asked them to stop (4 times btw) they stopped. It really isn't helping anyone, rather flooding people with the same things over and over. I would feel less annoyed by it if someone made a thread, and then sticky it and that be that. Not a full drawn out process where no one uses the search function and blindly tell people how they should make their stories.

Now with the bitchy statement, I didn't think it was bitchy, I took it as a little outburst of anger toward the immaturity of this thread.. c:

04-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-06-2012, 03:32 PM)flamez3 Wrote: I'm all for helping people. Especially when they ask for it, and Especially when it is in the right place. But no one has asked...It's kinda like my Mystery Chapter 2 thread. I updated the download link and then out of the blue, a full-blown discussion on what makes Amnesia scary and how to make a good Amnesia custom story was going on my thread...for no reason? I didn't ask for it to be there, and once I asked them to stop (4 times btw) they stopped. It really isn't helping anyone, rather flooding people with the same things over and over. I would feel less annoyed by it if someone made a thread, and then sticky it and that be that. Not a full drawn out process where no one uses the search function and blindly tell people how they should make their stories.

Now with the bitchy statement, I didn't think it was bitchy, I took it as a little outburst of anger toward the immaturity of this thread.. c:
Look at what sub-forum this is under. "Development Articles", the whole POINT of this sub-forum is for giving people tips on how you think they could make their custom story better. They're not saying "You MUST do your custom story EXACTLY LIKE THIS or it will be terrible", they're just giving some pointers on how THEY think you could make your custom story better. No one has to listen to them or even look at the thread, but they should be able to offer what little advice they can. And don't say it's not helping anyone, I can almost guarantee you that there has been at least one person who's read this thread (or maybe another thread like this) and actually got a new scare idea or decided that a scare they were planning to do wasn't very good. In fact I got a few new ideas that I wanted to put in my custom story because of what was said here. Just cause something isn't technical help doesn't mean that it's not still help, so stop jumping to such rash conclusions like that.

Posting Freak
04-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Website Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

(04-06-2012, 11:08 PM)kman Wrote: Look at what sub-forum this is under. "Development Articles", the whole POINT of this sub-forum is for giving people tips on how you think they could make their custom story better.
Development articles are for tutorials on scripting and the HPL2 engine
(04-06-2012, 11:08 PM)kman Wrote: They're not saying "You MUST do your custom story EXACTLY LIKE THIS or it will be terrible", they're just giving some pointers on how THEY think you could make your custom story better.
Look at anyone asking for help with a jumpscare, and you will change your mind.

04-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2012, 02:13 AM)flamez3 Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 11:08 PM)kman Wrote: Look at what sub-forum this is under. "Development Articles", the whole POINT of this sub-forum is for giving people tips on how you think they could make their custom story better.
Development articles are for tutorials on scripting and the HPL2 engine
(04-06-2012, 11:08 PM)kman Wrote: They're not saying "You MUST do your custom story EXACTLY LIKE THIS or it will be terrible", they're just giving some pointers on how THEY think you could make your custom story better.
Look at anyone asking for help with a jumpscare, and you will change your mind.
Development articles are for showing people how to make a good custom story, that includes mapping, scripting, story design and flow... Scare design. You're thinking of it in far too small of a scale, this sub-forum is for people looking for tips on how to create a custom story, and that requires a lot more than just scripting and mapping. And I'm not talking about help threads, I'm talking about threads that are made specifically addressing scare designs and jumpscares in general. Threads that've been derailed to a certain topic =/= threads dedicated to a topic.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 02:59 AM by Kman.)
04-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Website Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Flamez3 would be right save one thing: There is an actual formula to true horror, and it's what the OP is talking about.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
04-07-2012, 03:52 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

There is no true horror. It's how it's perceived to be true horror.

04-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-07-2012, 06:13 AM)flamez3 Wrote: There is no true horror. It's how it's perceived to be true horror.
Well, at least there are basics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_and_terror

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 06:26 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2012, 06:13 AM)flamez3 Wrote: There is no true horror. It's how it's perceived to be true horror.
Yes but there are specific things that in general have been known to cause fear. Such as taking the time to set up mood and atmosphere or giving the idea that there is some sort of danger lurking near by.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 10:11 AM by Kman.)
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Website Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

(04-07-2012, 10:10 AM)kman Wrote: Such as taking the time to set up mood and atmosphere or giving the idea that there is some sort of danger lurking near by.
Horror is mainly suspense, which can be easily done by a jumpscare. And I never said that the reasons they are stating are wrong (few exceptions). I am simply saying that their are too many of them. And they seem foolish/immature to keep saying them over and over.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2012, 12:31 PM by flamez3.)
04-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Find