Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2007-09 Thursday 13th, Penumbra: Black Plague to be published worldwide Q1 2008
thetargos Offline

Threads: 4
RE: 2007-09 Thursday 13th, Penumbra: Black Plague to be published worldwide Q1 2008

Since the question went unanswered, I'll as again... Will Black Plague will still be multiplatform? (Win, Lin, Mac).

Do not rush it!!, I'd prefer to wait for a fine game than be too quickly disappointed by it. Penumbra Overture is one of the most innovative game play wise on computers that it is almost the "Wii" of adventure games. I can perfectly picture other games following the same game play and still focus on the important stuff: plot development and story telling. I hope Penumbra will be but the first of a series of games from you guys with this innovative game play system.
09-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: 2007-09 Thursday 13th, Penumbra: Black Plague to be published worldwide Q1 2008

Of course it gonna be to every platforms! Only stupid wouldn't release Episode Two in every platforms if Episode One is already released to Windows, Linux and Mac.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM by Ano.)
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

look at Call of Duty. After Call of Duty - United Offensive, they stopped releasing it until Call of Duty 2 came out, and they skipped right over 3, and will release 4 on PC.
09-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

thetargos Wrote:Since the question went unanswered, I'll as again... Will Black Plague will still be multiplatform? (Win, Lin, Mac).

That is our goal, at least. So we will do our best to see to that this happens.
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Find
thetargos Offline

That is VERY reassuring, Thomas. Hopefully you'll all make it happen. It is very nice to see games such as this reinvigorating a seemingly dead genre (adventure), even if in a "dark and spooky" kind of way. The other day a friend asked me what type of game Penumbra was, and I was like "Well, it is a... no wait, it is more like... no, that's not quite it... It is for all purposes and intents (IMO) an adventure game with a dark and spooky theme and atmosphere, though not as inoffensive as your regular adventure game (think of Gabriel Knight series or Phantasmagoria or Shivers games series for dark themed adventure games), but not quite a survival horror (in the tune of RE or Silent Hill, i.e. combat being a core part of the game)... If anything it IS a survival horror kind of game in the most literal of ways, in that you're better off avoiding fighting and killing fiends than actually engaging in combat, as your character is somewhat combat impaired, to stay alive and find out more about the plot"
09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:look at Call of Duty. After Call of Duty - United Offensive, they stopped releasing it until Call of Duty 2 came out, and they skipped right over 3, and will release 4 on PC.

Are they nuts? Or just stupid? Big Grin

09-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Website Find
Gemini Offline

Threads: 2

Scraper Wrote:Of course it gonna be to every platforms! Only stupid wouldn't release Episode Two in every platforms if Episode One is already released to Windows, Linux and Mac.

Well that's what the idiot guys from Atari did with Neverwinter Nights 2. Well I bought the first one but not the second ;-)

As for Penumbra, they do HAVE TO make it work for Linux as well ;-) Latest news are hopefully good though. Cool ! You'll have at least one linux customer ;-) ... me !
(of course same for Mac and as much platforms as possible Wink )
09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Find
thetargos Offline

Gemini Wrote:
Scraper Wrote:Of course it gonna be to every platforms! Only stupid wouldn't release Episode Two in every platforms if Episode One is already released to Windows, Linux and Mac.

Well that's what the idiot guys from Atari did with Neverwinter Nights 2. Well I bought the first one but not the second ;-)

As for Penumbra, they do HAVE TO make it work for Linux as well ;-) Latest news are hopefully good though. Cool ! You'll have at least one linux customer ;-) ... me !
(of course same for Mac and as much platforms as possible Wink )

I didn't buy NWN2 either, because of the same reasons. I don't know what was the deciding factor for not doing a Linux port if the first game have had one and it proved to be widely used on Linux (AFAIK), so it was going to be profitable. I heard or read somewhere that it had to do with BioWare not being involved in its development or some such... At any rate, *nix[1] gaming is looking brighter and brighter!

[1] In all good Linux and Open Source tradition, why lock-in to Linux-only, when for virtually the same effort you can deploy to Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS X x86(_64), even Windows and probably at least two consoles, provided your code allows for such portability... For me it would be a no-brainer to keep supporting these platforms.
09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I wasn't too detailed up there. Call of Duty and Call of Duty - United Offensive was released for PC, and I think other consoles. Then came "Big Red One; Finest Hour; (one or two more, maybe three); Call of Duty 3 for console, NOT PC. However, COD2 and are PC as well.
Sad in a way, COD series was my favorite game for some time, so it was quite disappointing to see them release COD for consoles only.

I'm another Linux customer.
09-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

When it's that time, do you know what the link to the game site will be? Would anything be under Penumbra-overture.com or is that STRICTLY for the first episode?
09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Find