Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[HELP] Diaries Not Opening
BadCoverMan Offline

Threads: 7
[HELP] Diaries Not Opening

I click on the diary and it just goes straight into my journal without opening or playing the ogg file.
I put the ogg file in the "sounds" folder, I am 95% sure the lang is correct, and according to the hpl.log it knows where the ogg file is, it just can't find it? Yeah, I'm confused too.

Here's my lang file.
Spoiler below!

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Name1">This is a tutorial</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Text1">[voice tutorial.ogg][br]Hello there, stop reading this and go be scared somewhere else.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

And here is a little excerpt from the hpl.log
Spoiler below!

-------- Debug window closed!
ERROR: Couldn't load sound stream 'c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/amnesia the dark descent/maps/TutorialStory/Sounds/tutorial.ogg'
ERROR: Could not load sound 'tutorial.ogg'
ERROR: Can't find sound 'tutorial.ogg'!

I am baffled. Huh
02-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: [HELP] Diaries Not Opening

Let's try playing another file and see if that works. Replace tutorial.ogg with Diary_CH01L01_DanielNote_01.ogg in the .lang file. If it works, then your tutorial.ogg file is probably in a different format than OGG.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM by Your Computer.)
02-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Website Find
BadCoverMan Offline

(02-23-2012, 03:14 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Let's try playing another file and see if that works. Replace tutorial.ogg with Diary_CH01L01_DanielNote_01.ogg in the .lang file. If it works, then your tutorial.ogg file is probably in a different format than OGG.
I switched out "tutorial.ogg" with Diary_CH01L01_DanielNote_01.ogg and it did the same thing. There was no error in the hpl.log though.
02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Find
Ultimegastriker Offline

Threads: 5

The same problem i've on my first map ...
Try this:
< Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Name1">This is a tutorial</Entry>
< Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Text1">[br] [voice tutorial.ogg] [br]Hello there, stop reading this and go be scared somewhere else.</Entry>
< /CATEGORY>

On my YT Channel you can find all Storys from here.
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Find
BadCoverMan Offline

(02-23-2012, 08:30 PM)Ultimegastriker Wrote: The same problem i've on my first map ...
Try this:
< Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Name1">This is a tutorial</Entry>
< Entry Name="Diary_Tutorial_Text1">[br] [voice tutorial.ogg] [br]Hello there, stop reading this and go be scared somewhere else.</Entry>
< /CATEGORY>
Yeah that's what I had initially. Still didn't work, even with the ogg file YourComputer gave me.

02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Find
Ultimegastriker Offline

Threads: 5

For me it worked anyway. otherwise I can not help you, unfortunately, I'm sorry

On my YT Channel you can find all Storys from here.
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Mind attaching here that custom story of yours?

02-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Website Find
BadCoverMan Offline

Ok, so I created another map, another lang file, another diary, and used the ogg file YourComputer gave me. It worked like a charm. So I put my ogg file into the same folder as the other one and changed the lang file to it. The diary wouldn't open. Is there something I'm missing here? Do I need to do anything else besides simply record with Audacity and export as ogg file?
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2012, 03:38 AM by BadCoverMan.)
02-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(02-24-2012, 03:10 AM)BadCoverMan Wrote: Do I need to do anything else besides simply record with Audacity and export as ogg file?

I tested to see what would happen if i renamed a MP3 file to an OGG file and tried to play it in a diary. Doing this i managed to reproduce your issue (the diary closed immediately) and i got the very same error messages in the hpl.log file. Conclusion: your OGG file is not an OGG file; you didn't export to OGG, you probably saved a WAV as OGG.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM by Your Computer.)
02-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Website Find
BadCoverMan Offline

(02-24-2012, 08:46 PM)Your Computer Wrote: I tested to see what would happen if i renamed a MP3 file to an OGG file and tried to play it in a diary. Doing this i managed to reproduce your issue (the diary closed immediately) and i got the very same error messages in the hpl.log file. Conclusion: your OGG file is not an OGG file; you didn't export to OGG, you probably saved a WAV as OGG.
Well I just recorded something, exported as "ogg vorbis," and got the same error. Which is exactly what you did in your video if I'm not mistaken.

Where exactly should I be putting this file? Huh

02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Find