Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.1 Average
Amnesia - Welcome to Rapture? - unfinished-
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Amnesia - Welcome to Rapture? - unfinished-

Yes Skashi most likely will not give a rats ass about what has been said here, however it is an interesting subject and I really wanted to get this out to you guys because I'm fairly certain not alot of people around these forums know anything about this issue.

You go ahead and release this but know that I will not be downloading this aslong as it contains stolen artwork.
04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-24-2012, 02:03 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: I agree with you up to a certain point. We're not born to pay our stay around here to some people we have nothing to do with. If you were using Amnesia's models without permission, it would be a major problem because these models are done with a whole lot of different worries, concerns and dedication(Indie development), but even so, I don't believe stealing content is something you should do like that. There are laws that are made for the sake of politics, but I don't believe that forbidding stealing is one of them.
How is using models that you already own, stealing?
How is ripping models from a game that you already own, stealing?
How is reverse engineering something that you already own, stealing?
I understand that I'm technically only buying "the rights to play a copy of a game that is ultimately owned by Take2". but the way I see it, is that if it legally ended up on my computer, it's mine. I may not have publishing rights to it, but I should be able to pick it apart just like a radio, and use it in other things (like building a hair-dryer out of it).

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(04-24-2012, 03:21 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 02:03 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: I agree with you up to a certain point. We're not born to pay our stay around here to some people we have nothing to do with. If you were using Amnesia's models without permission, it would be a major problem because these models are done with a whole lot of different worries, concerns and dedication(Indie development), but even so, I don't believe stealing content is something you should do like that. There are laws that are made for the sake of politics, but I don't believe that forbidding stealing is one of them.
I understand that I'm technically only buying "the rights to play a copy of a game that is ultimately owned by Take2". but the way I see it, is that if it legally ended up on my computer, it's mine. I may not have publishing rights to it, but I should be able to pick it apart just like a radio, and use it in other things (like building a hair-dryer out of it).
You might see it that way, but it's not true, Reverse engineering and all that stuff is against the EULA. There's a reason the game stops installation on your computer if you do not agree to the EULA.

You do not own ANYTHING contained within the gamefiles.

04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

(04-24-2012, 03:27 PM)Traggey Wrote:

You might see it that way, but it's not true, Reverse engineering and all that stuff is against the EULA. There's a reason the game stops installation on your computer if you do not agree to the EULA.

You do not own ANYTHING contained within the gamefiles.
Of course not. Why would they bother to encrypt certain things? Just be rational.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

You don't own the game, irrational games and 2k games ( I think that's the publisher of bioshock ) own the game, you just have access to it's license by buying it.

04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Back in the good old days before Penumbra Overture was released (hehe, even before I signed up!) there was a thread of a guy wanting to make a TC of the Penumbra Tech Demo (don't bother looking for the thread, it's long gone). The TC would involve the famous Xenomorph from the Alien Universe , but most people in the forum at the time was nagging him about the "FOXing" which would inevitably happen. Eventually he gave up.
04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(04-24-2012, 06:08 PM)spukrian Wrote: Back in the good old days before Penumbra Overture was released (hehe, even before I signed up!) there was a thread of a guy wanting to make a TC of the Penumbra Tech Demo (don't bother looking for the thread, it's long gone). The TC would involve the famous Xenomorph from the Alien Universe , but most people in the forum at the time was nagging him about the "FOXing" which would inevitably happen. Eventually he gave up.
As a sidenote: Would he had instead done The Thing, which is ideal for Penumbra, then the thing can take any number of forms. I doubt the title "The Thing" is even copyrighted. It's just too generic. In the same way: If you make an underwater base, set in the same era, and it's gone wrong, then as long as you don't call the place "Rapture", and the diving monsters "Big Daddies", I doubt they have copyrighted all little girls in all underwater cities.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

(04-24-2012, 06:15 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 06:08 PM)spukrian Wrote: Back in the good old days before Penumbra Overture was released (hehe, even before I signed up!) there was a thread of a guy wanting to make a TC of the Penumbra Tech Demo (don't bother looking for the thread, it's long gone). The TC would involve the famous Xenomorph from the Alien Universe , but most people in the forum at the time was nagging him about the "FOXing" which would inevitably happen. Eventually he gave up.
As a sidenote: Would he had instead done The Thing, which is ideal for Penumbra, then the thing can take any number of forms. I doubt the title "The Thing" is even copyrighted. It's just too generic. In the same way: If you make an underwater base, set in the same era, and it's gone wrong, then as long as you don't call the place "Rapture", and the diving monsters "Big Daddies", I doubt they have copyrighted all little girls in all underwater cities.
Yes, if you actually took the time to create separate assets and entities and new names and histories, the idea is not copyrighted. The ripped models are.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
Nickshrike Offline

Threads: 1

I don't see what the problem is, it's not causing irrational games any harm, if he doesn't make money from this I really don't see a problem.

(04-24-2012, 02:24 PM)Traggey Wrote: Yes Skashi most likely will not give a rats ass about what has been said here, however it is an interesting subject and I really wanted to get this out to you guys because I'm fairly certain not alot of people around these forums know anything about this issue.

You go ahead and release this but know that I will not be downloading this aslong as it contains stolen artwork.
You say that as if Skashi doesn't care what people think, negative comments stand out more than negative and im pretty sure Skashi is on the borders of whether to continue making this story.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM by Nickshrike.)
04-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

The point isn't that if Irrational is harmed or not (which BTW, whether or not Irrational is hurt should be determinded by them, right?), the point is that the content from BioShock belongs to them and they have the right to decide what should happen with said content.
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Find