Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What a 3d modeller would want to see for a team request
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
What a 3d modeller would want to see for a team request

Greetings All,

I'm interested in knowing, as the subject suggests, what a 3d model artist would want to see if they were to agree to work on a project as part of a team. To put that in some context, I come from the programming background side of development, I love scripting in this engine, and if someone was proposing a team effort to develop a mod where I would do only that thing that I love - scripting - I know exactly what I would want to see in terms of the other developers experience and ideas. I know some people hate scripting, and would want a scripter to do scripting, but I don't see modellers that love modelling wanting to only do modelling because they hate all that fiddly coding crap.

Lets set up a theoretical situation: If I was creating a mod in a totally different environment to Amnesia, and different from a modern hospital theme, I would need a short games worth of unique 3d models to work with. I know it's a great and unique idea, and I know that there are artists who want to do a lot of hard work to make a great and unique mod.

So then, how do I go about making a proposition that would get an artist interested in doing that work?

This is an open question to any 3d artist at any skill level. There must be artists out there that want to do art, because there are scripters who want to do scripting. So if you are an artist, and I came to you with this idea, what would you want me to show you, to get you interested.

I ask this because I have no experience of what you want, and I want to know what you want because I want your help, but I know that there are very few artists on these forums. It would be presumptuous of me to post this asking a modeller to help - that is not my intention, I just don't know the psychology of that side of development, and I want to understand it for the future.

Thanks
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: What a 3d modeller would want to see for a team request

Most excellent question sir and I salute you for bringing this up.

Upon joining a team I want to see ethusiasm most of all, I want to know that the people I'll be modeling for are actually putting my work to good use.
When it comes to amnesia custom stories I want mature people with a certain level of skill, modeling an entire new world for someone who will only fill it with flying naked men and a terrible storyline is the most depressing thing in the world.

Perhaps even more important is a certain understanding for the modeling/artistical work.
I get plenty of requests from people who want me to create entirely new level assets and monsters for them but none of them really seem to understand ( or care ) what a great ammount of work it actually takes to create something like that.

So all in all, a solid story, a mature group to work with and not having to feel the pressure of ''I must do this or the mod can't be developed what-so-ever''

Hope this gives you some insight.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM by Traggey.)
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. To take it a little further, if your willing to humour me, do you only consider doing individual requests for other people? Do you dislike doing single requests, and actually would much prefer a long term team project? Do you have your own designs that you want to make, and would you want to do your own scripting?
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I am currently part of a team working on a very long term project and I'm enjoying that very much, however sometimes I pick up requests or just feel like modeling something that I later upload to the forums for everyone to use. Having a team to work with that you feel comfortable with is something that I prefer though. As for my own designs, yes. Yes I do that all the time because I really don't feel like dedicating all of my modeling time towards my current project, I work on several smaller things on the side. As for scripting, no, screw that stuff, it makes my head quite spinny.
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Good to know, thanks. Anyone else? This isn't really just for my benefit, seems like information that could be useful for a lot of people looking for 3d modellers, and for modellers who are sick of people asking stupid questions of them, myself not included of course Tongue
05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

There are a lot of things to think of I guess. One of them being "I make models for you, you do X thing on the mod". I personally would want to work with someone who could bring something unique to the table. Perhaps he/she would be either a good story writer, a drawing artist, creator of in-game music or something alike. In that way I don't have to take the time to learn how to make good in-game music and it sort of becomes a trade with talent X traded against talent Y.

Modeling isn't "god's gift for modders", it's just very rare on this forum. High demand for something in low supply. Something I'd want to do with Aciestov at a later stage would be having someone join me on the project and basically do all of the "drone-scripting" - as I view it - simply because I don't enjoy it as much as the other parts of the modmaking. If this will be an interesting offer I do not know, but perhaps I could "sell it" due to the opportunity of working on something "well-made".

Well I'd like to end my little rant with some advice. Try something new! Learning to do something besides the ol' amnesia mapping and scripting might be very rewarding. I find creating things (be it imagery or models) very peaceful and satisfying. Before you know it, you'll realize that you have aquired a fun hobby.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

It certainly isn't gods gift, its just another required aspect for making a high quality mod, and in short supply as you say. I took your advice previously, spent a few weeks learning the basics of modelling. I understand the process which I think is important for anyone, but as someone with a great love for logic, it's not a process that comes naturally and it is most certainly not enjoyable.

I get why you and others would think it is, because I find writing a lovely piece of script peaceful and satisfying. I was proud of my first cube when I got it working, hell I loved that damn cube, it the best f*cking cube in the bizniz, but its a whole new world of skills to pick up, and all that time spent is time not spent getting better at what I'm going to use, its not productive to be a jack-of-all-trades.

I agree that in order for a team to work, you need people experienced and passionate about their respective disciplines, you get many crossovers in the modding world because people want to get mods made and finding team members willing to put hard work in and collaborate effectively is difficult for people starting out. The result is usually sub-par on all aspects.

To flip the scenario round then, if I replied to your post saying 'Hey awesome I could be your drone-scripter!', what would you be looking for from me in order to consider my help? I can assume a map or a piece of script demonstrating skill, a passion for scripting and for the project etc, but I like to avoid making assumptions.
05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I'd say (most) people wouldn't ask you to show any work, because the teams are created by people whom have recently started modding amnesia. As a way to showcase your scripting ability I'd show some lines of general scripting (just some of the mundane things) and one specialized script (perhaps a puzzle or system --> weather system for example).

In my case however I wouldn't require any work shown, since the tasks shouldn't provide to be too difficult.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Thanks for your input Acies, it is much appreciated. Any more for any more? I know there aren't many modellers here but there's certainly more than two...
Another question I'd like to add, though some people may consider it too prudent of me to ask a personal question (which is fine, no need to answer), do any of you have professional aspirations?
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

(05-02-2012, 06:31 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Thanks for your input Acies, it is much appreciated. Any more for any more? I know there aren't many modellers here but there's certainly more than two...
Another question I'd like to add, though some people may consider it too prudent of me to ask a personal question (which is fine, no need to answer), do any of you have professional aspirations?
Yes, I do intend to work within the industry, when and how this will happen however is a wonderous question.

05-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Find