Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Windowed mode/mode change problems
Blade Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Windowed mode/mode change problems

hi Smile I just picked up the Penumbra Black Plague demo, and haven't had too much of a chance to look at it yet, since I need to figure out if there's a way to run it in windowed mode - I run with three monitors and typically have thinsg running that I need to mess with while gaming, and it is pretty inconvenient to have to alt-tab and deal with mode switches all the time.

Barring that, it looks like the game has some serious difficulties when recovering from being alt-tabbed out of.

any suggestions? Thanks Big Grin
02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Windowed mode/mode change problems

My Documents/Penumbra/Black Plague/ open settings.cfg with notepad or similar and locate the FullScreen="True" and set it to False.

And Alt-tabbing is a bit shaky, sometime if you alt-tab out it won't work to go back into the game using alt-tab, but by clicking on the program name in the task bar it should work.
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Website Find
Blade Offline

Well, I can get back into the game, but the graphics are all totally distorted, it looks like it restores to the wrong mode or something. It's very weird.

Thanks for the tip on the settings.cfg, can't wait to get into it Smile

Eep, got into it. The demo doesn't let go of the mouse when you alt-tab out of it, unless I manage to bring forward another window in front of it that forces the mouse into it. It's not much of an improvement, though it is some.

Also, starting in Windowed mode, the window appeared half on one monitor,a nd half on another, not sure if that's something fixable, but it makes it really slow until I got it situated all on one.

Nevermind, Windowed mode is just about useless - returning to the window is difficult, as the mouse cursor bounces around all over the screen when trying to return. If I Alt-Tab back into it, then the game window floats halfway off screen, and can't be moved back.

Also, right clicking on Penumbra on the taskbar, and selecting Close doesn't do anything.
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Strange.... I have successfully played the game on a two-screen setup but never tried on three. Might be some graphics card settings that need changing?
02-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Find
Blade Offline

hmm. It seems to work tolerably, if I put my other windows under the game,a nd then when I switch between them, the mouse does the right thinsg.. but it really doesn't seem to do the right things at all when the other monitors are enabled, and i have the windows all spread out...

It seems to be related to the game never actualy letting go of the mouse, wether it is focused or not. If I use any method other than Alt-Tab to get back into the window, then it gets really messy Sad
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Find
stevenhidy Offline

Threads: 0

I play the demo (and the original game, Overture) on my two-screen setup and I notice that moving the mouse too quickly (which isn't very fast...) causes the mouse to leave Penumbra's fullscreen window and will sometimes (e.g., if I click) cause Penumbra to minimize itself, and then it doesn't want to come back up. But sometimes it comes back up fine. Sometimes.

Is this a quirk that has to do with SDL's mouse cursor management? SDL is nice but it's much better on Linux. (Speaking of which, I'm using Windows XP SP2. I doubt my hardware configuration has anything to do with this. Smile
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Find
Blade Offline

I've unfortunatly decided that if I'm going to get this game when it comes out, I'll probaly need to block some time where i won't have to run any other programs, as it's pretty awful about running with other software running.
02-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Find