Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam workshop Support
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Steam workshop Support

(06-22-2013, 11:59 PM)Bonehead Wrote:
Quote:That sucks...

Yeah.. Don't know about you.. but this is no longer a buy for me.

Just because there is no CS support?
I think that the main game is the single most important thing, and they should put their focus on that. CS support would be a nice gimmick, but it's by far not vital for the game.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Website Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

(06-22-2013, 11:59 PM)Bonehead Wrote:
Quote:That sucks...

Yeah.. Don't know about you.. but this is no longer a buy for me.
So one of the main reasons you were going to buy AMFP was because of custom stories and the content AMFP could add to them?

I'm not one to tell you how to use your money, but man, you should really get your priorities in order. If anything, the custom stories could be a nice dessert to top off the main course of the game. Not the other way 'round.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
06-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Find
Bonehead Offline

Threads: 12

I would normally agree with both of you. But custom stories and the ability to make them is what made TDD last so long for me. It's not a gimmick, Frictional openly said that they were the reason that TDD had gotten so big... so if that's the case.. they're removing one of the major pieces that made them so successful before hand. I've still been playing and creating for TDD to this day. With everything that the chinese room has done, they have stated that it will be a shorter experience, and they will not be releasing anything for the community to use and make the experience larger. Once you play through amnesia once, it loses everything that makes it scary, because it's all scripted, you know when everything is going to pop up. So they've added in their own monsters, and assets, which many people have already done with full conversion mods for TDD. So, no, I do have my priorities straight, I'm not paying for a conversion mod/custom campaign made by a different team. I'll buy it on sale or torrent it. But until it gets what was ALREADY included in it's predecessor, I won't pay for it.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM by Bonehead.)
06-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: they're removing one of the major pieces that made them so successful before hand.
I personally don't think that the custom story support had that much impact on Amnesia's success. 95% of them are cheap jumpscare stuff, and even though I played LOTS of them, I can spontaneously name only 3 or 4 really good ones. And, in my opinion, not a single one was comparable to the main game in quality or quantity.

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: Once you play through amnesia once, it loses everything that makes it scary, because it's all scripted, you know when everything is going to pop up.
I did 3 complete playthroughs and I'm still pretty scared by it. Tongue

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: So they've added in their own monsters, and assets, which many people have already done with full conversion mods for TDD.
As said before, this is absolutely not comparable. They are creating a completely new game, mostly from scratch, while custom stories/mods only use or alter the stuff that is already given.

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: I'll buy it on sale or torrent it.
Do I really have to tell you why this is stupid? I mean, two things...
1. Torrenting games from indie developers is baaad.
2. You're talking about illegal downloads on the official forum. I don't have to explain why this is dumb.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
06-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Website Find
Bonehead Offline

Threads: 12

(06-23-2013, 05:45 PM)Gharren Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: they're removing one of the major pieces that made them so successful before hand.
I personally don't think that the custom story support had that much impact on Amnesia's success. 95% of them are cheap jumpscare stuff, and even though I played LOTS of them, I can spontaneously name only 3 or 4 really good ones. And, in my opinion, not a single one was comparable to the main game in quality or quantity.

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: Once you play through amnesia once, it loses everything that makes it scary, because it's all scripted, you know when everything is going to pop up.
I did 3 complete playthroughs and I'm still pretty scared by it. Tongue

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: So they've added in their own monsters, and assets, which many people have already done with full conversion mods for TDD.
As said before, this is absolutely not comparable. They are creating a completely new game, mostly from scratch, while custom stories/mods only use or alter the stuff that is already given.

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: I'll buy it on sale or torrent it.
Do I really have to tell you why this is stupid? I mean, two things...
1. Torrenting games from indie developers is baaad.
2. You're talking about illegal downloads on the official forum. I don't have to explain why this is dumb.

This game is not being built from scratch. Far from it actually. They've gotten a tweaked version of the engine and they are rolling with it that way. I've see just from the screenshots and trailers, at least 50 things that have just been imported from the original amnesia. Also, the custom stories did have a major impact. Frictional themselves said it. Bunch of cheap jumpscares? Not all of them. There are plenty out there that are downright amazing, if you'd like, I can put a list together for you. Do they compare to the original game? Not entirely, they're mostly made by a single person. Custom campaigns were a large part of the game, hence why it was made so easy to install them and had the placement for playing them smack on the main menu. Pigs will no doubt be an amazing game. But why would I pay the same price or more for it, when the original came with so much more? Much more being, a longer game, ability to learn and create for it, and custom campaigns galore to increase replay value. If TDD scares you on your third time through, you're an easy scare. The game is ENTIRELY scripted. Everything will always happen at the exact same time, every single time. This is not a sequel, it's a glorified custom campaign.
06-24-2013, 01:52 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(06-23-2013, 03:27 PM)Bonehead Wrote: I'll buy it on sale or torrent it. But until it gets what was ALREADY included in it's predecessor, I won't pay for it.
Someone has a false sense of entitlement. That's fine if you don't want to pay for it, but you'll pirate it just because you don't want to pay for it? Cry me a river.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
06-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Call this a custom campaign or whatever... Some people have put a lot of time and effort into this, and they have been paid, so we customers will have to expect something very good, very polished, following the FG philosophy, unlike (presumably) most of the CS in TDD.
06-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

Sure, cs increased the longevity of TDD, but it was hardly the reason why people bought it in the first place. Frictional Games and The Chinese Room create games, not SDKs. Smile

If you only want to buy a full prized FG game because you want mod content than that is fine, torrenting it is not.
06-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Website Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(06-24-2013, 07:55 AM)DavidS Wrote: Sure, cs increased the longevity of TDD, but it was hardly the reason why people bought it in the first place. Frictional Games and The Chinese Room create games, not SDKs. Smile

If you only want to buy a full prized FG game because you want mod content than that is fine, torrenting it is not.

Exactly, that's also my point of view. And when AAMFP doesn't support CS, ATDD is still there to create one. The only disadvantage is, that you can't use the AMFP models, right?
06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Not just the models, but also the tweaked monster AI which is broken (kind of) in TDD and other new effects/features introduced in that intermediate version of HPL.
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Find