Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: AMFP without TDD is:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Better
46.75%
36 46.75%
Worse
12.99%
10 12.99%
No different
40.26%
31 40.26%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6
RE: If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?

(09-21-2013, 07:34 AM)Alardem Wrote: For me, the insanity mechanic doesn't actually make much sense - it feels more like a punishment for progressing too fast rather than a genuine emulation of a real person's fear, and decreasing it as a 'reward' for completing puzzles only makes sense when using video-game logic.

It makes sense from a cognitive point of view, since the puzzle solving experience focuses the mind and helps the character regain mental clarity.

Quote:In short, it feels like a game imposing arbitrary limitations on you.

If you want arbitrary limitations imposed on you, look no further than MFP. I One of the reasons why I took 12 hours to complete the game was that about a quarter of the way through I decided I was going to try and fight the game for control of my character, and do as many things as possible that the game was clearly trying to stop me doing.

Don't want me to jump on top of that barrel? Watch me find a way. Don't want me to get to that ledge? I'll do it. Don't want me to push more than one container of Compound X down to the level with the gears? Try and stop me; I'll push them all down.
09-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-21-2013, 07:41 AM)Fortigurn Wrote:
Quote:In short, it feels like a game imposing arbitrary limitations on you.

If you want arbitrary limitations imposed on you, look no further than MFP. I One of the reasons why I took 12 hours to complete the game was that about a quarter of the way through I decided I was going to try and fight the game for control of my character, and do as many things as possible that the game was clearly trying to stop me doing.

Don't want me to jump on top of that barrel? Watch me find a way. Don't want me to get to that ledge? I'll do it. Don't want me to push more than one container of Compound X down to the level with the gears? Try and stop me; I'll push them all down.

You weirdo. :p It took me 3 hours, and I'm sure I had much more fun empathizing with the character than you did with tossing stuff around like a monkey.
09-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

(09-21-2013, 08:03 AM)Alardem Wrote: You weirdo. :p It took me 3 hours, and I'm sure I had much more fun empathizing with the character than you did with tossing stuff around like a monkey.

Believe me 12 hours is plenty of time to empathize deeply with the character. And I wasn't tossing stuff around randomly (the game is designed to prevent you doing that as much as possible), I was exploring the game's world and taking the time to appreciate the tremendous detail of the environment. What annoyed me was the fact that the game was designed in such a way which restricted my ability to do so. It's completely counter-intuitive.
09-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Find
Rya.Reisender Offline

Threads: 1

The reason I don't like AMFP too much is mainly it's linearity and simplicity of the puzzles. This would have been a problem for me even if I hadn't played TDD before. So I voted "no different".
Without TDD, AMFP is still a too linear and too simple game. Only different would have been that I'd have categorized the series as "casual horror adventure game" whereas with both I simple categorized the series as "varying genre with horror elements that always plays in the same universe and starts off with someone having Amnesia".
Honestly Justine is also quite different from TDD already.
09-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Find
Ahiam94 Offline

Threads: 2

I'd think about the same. The game was very strong in story, music, and voice work. But a lot weaker in scares, and length. That was my main problem with it, was the length. It was such a tiny game. If it been about as long as TDD, I would have been perfectly happy with it.

(09-13-2013, 02:39 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: I just wish people would stop comparing this game to TDD so much. TDD shouldn't define this game. It's made by a different dev team with a different focus.
Isn't it kind of natural to compare it to TDD? No, it's not made by the same people, but it has the name Amnesia! People compare it because it's an Amnesia game! It only makes sense. People compare the original Donkey Kong games with the new one, and that was a totally different company and dev team. If the game was just called "A Machine for Pigs" and it was published by Frictional then people wouldn't compare them. But the truth is that this game is the second game in the Amnesia series.

I want a Flugelhorn!
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 06:41 AM by Ahiam94.)
09-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(09-22-2013, 06:34 AM)Ahiam94 Wrote: It was such a tiny game. If it been about as long as TDD, I would have been perfectly happy with it.
I don't think it was much shorter. I think people just didn't waste time sitting in corners hiding from monsters and figuring out puzzles.
09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5

The main thing with the criticisms is that it didn't live up to TDD. If AMFP was released before TDD then yes it would seem better.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
09-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

Quote: If AMFP would be released before TDD, would you feel diffrent about it?
I will say maybe, if it was marketed well, but i would still be very surprised because Frictional Games would make a game completely different to their successful Penumbra games, Amnesia the Dark Descent IMO was in a sense just an evolution from the Penumbra ideias plus the teachings they got from the way fans reacted to their Penumbra: Requiem expansion, but Amnesia Machine for pigs is as different to ATDD as it is to the Penumbra games.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM by Argoon.)
09-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-23-2013, 07:41 PM)Argoon Wrote: I will say maybe, if it was marketed well, but i would still be very surprised because Frictional Games would make a game completely different to their successful Penumbra games, Amnesia the Dark Descent IMO was in a sense just an evolution from the Penumbra ideias plus the teachings they got from the way fans reacted to their Penumbra: Requiem expansion, but Amnesia Machine for pigs is as different to ATDD as it is to the Penumbra games.

chineseroom made the game this time around, and Frictional were just the publishers. I'd assume that played a huge role in it being definitely different.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

Threads: 3

(09-13-2013, 11:15 AM)EnDash Wrote: The idea is how would tou feel about AMFP if you didn't have TDD to compare, as a standalone game on it's own. it's a diffrent game with diffrent characters and story and mechanics and was made by a diffrent company, if you severe connections to TDD, is it better or worse?

I would think that the game would have built upon what it had already had. Seeing a machine for pigs felt like a stripped down version of TDD, playing AAMFP before TDD would show that the devs were adding onto what they already know. However if you take into account of penumbra, you would see that people would say "penumbra was so awesome and not so linear." I would take penumbra in account first
09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Find