Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Black Plague Crashes Returning From Cells To Messhall
sheepdragon Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Black Plague Crashes Returning From Cells To Messhall

(03-09-2009, 07:30 AM)Thomas Wrote: sheepdragon:
So you tried the game after installing an updated ATI driver and then it worked? Just wanna make sure I get you correctly.

If that is the case, then it is very likely that some specific ATI driver version was the cause.
Yes, I think that was it. 9.1 did not seem to work, but 9.2 seems usable so far. I'll try to test it further when I get home from work.
03-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Find
sheepdragon Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Black Plague Crashes Returning From Cells To Messhall

Crap. Tried walking back and forth a few times, and it started happening again, every time I try to go back to the Messhall.
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Find
Baloonatic Offline

Threads: 0

Same problem here, can't make any progress in the game because of it.
03-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Find
Warcat Offline

I have the same problem, and I also have a ATI HD card.
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Find
DON3k Offline

(03-11-2009, 06:46 PM)Warcat Wrote: I have the same problem, and I also have a ATI HD card.

I'm figuring that there has to be a driver issue with ATI and the OpenGL code of this game, in some way.

I have a couple of other OpenGL games that do not bomb out, and they are far more demanding and graphically intensive, like Unreal Tournament 3 and Doom 3, both running at 1920x1080 maxed out.

Not sure where to place the blame, but I would hope that Penumbra's developers could contact ATI to voice concerns that so many ATI people seem to have crashing issues.
03-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

I bought an ATI HD card last year specifically to fix various issues, so it is very unfortunate that some new cards seem to give the game even more issues. Especially such serious as a crash.

We have tried to gather all info we need but we have not gotten closer to finding out what the problem is.

Gonna make some more checks and see if we can make any progress!

Sorry for all the trouble.
03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Find
cyber5 Offline

Add one to the list of people getting crashes. This is all pretty disappointing, I was really looking forward to Black Plague, having recently beaten overture and having enjoyed it so much.

If you can fix this problem, that's great. if its a driver issue, then I can wait. It's not too big of a deal, I only payed $20 for this collection off steam and got the money's worth after finishing Overture.
03-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Find
Seph Offline

I'm having the same problem. I didn't see this thread at first and created a new one here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/sho...p?tid=2801 (sorry about that; someone can go ahead and close/delete it). Edit: Looks like someone did.

Here is what I wrote:
(03-24-2009, 12:35 AM)Seph Wrote: About the time it was released I purchased the Penumbra Collection. I had really enjoyed the demo and was excited to try out the game.

Once I had everything installed I played through Overture. Occasionally the game would freeze during loading screens. I, however, was able to continue playing since this anomaly was seemingly random. I played through the entire game to completion and only experienced the problem a few times.

Recently I finally started playing Black Plague. At first everything seemed to work fine. Unfortunately at a certain point I am encountering a bug which causes my game to completely crash.

This happens fairly early on when you attempt to go from the Cells to the Mess Hall. It does NOT happen when you travel from the Mess Hall to the Cells.

The screen turns black, my monitor temporarily loses the signal, and I have to open the task manager to exit to desktop. Sometimes I get a display driver not responding message like this individual: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=2782.

I am assuming that the Penumbra Collection shipped with all the latest updates for the game. I have tried installing the latest update available and it is incompatible with the Penumbra Collection.

I have tried playing with hardware sound on and off but it makes no difference.

The problem is not my save as I have loaded earlier saves and progressed to the same point and still experience the issue.

My Rig:
Core i7 920 @ stock clock
Radeon 4850X2 @ stock clock
6gb DDR3 ram
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

I would really like to play this game to completion, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
03-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Find
Warcat Offline

Hmm.

Any progress to report?
04-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Find
Seph Offline

(04-03-2009, 01:35 AM)Warcat Wrote: Hmm.

Any progress to report?

I'd like to know this also.
04-15-2009, 03:22 AM
Find