Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2015-09 Thursday 2nd, Sink into the Crushing Isolation of SOMA – New Trailer
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
2015-09 Thursday 2nd, Sink into the Crushing Isolation of SOMA – New Trailer

Leave your memories of the world behind and sink into the cold, stark embrace of SOMA, coming September 22nd to PC and PS4.

Watch the SOMA – Environments Trailer

The radio is dead, food is running out, and the machines have started to think they are people. Underwater facility PATHOS-II has suffered an intolerable isolation and we’re going to have to make some tough decisions. What can be done? What makes sense? What is left to fight for?

From Frictional Games, creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, SOMA is a sci-fi horror game that questions our concepts of identity, consciousness, and what it means to be human.

Be sure to visit the Frictional Games blog today for an introspective look at SOMA and its creators as the team addresses some of the community's most frequently asked questions.
09-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: 2015-09 Thursday 2nd, Sink into the Crushing Isolation of SOMA – New Trailer

Female Voice:

"When I was little, I use to climb the stairs all the way to the top of the building."

"Push the heavy steel door open, stepped out onto the roof and watch the smog rise and fall over Taipei, street food vendors filled the air with the aromas of all my favorite foods.

"The streets below where shadowed by the tall buildings."

"The people pushing through the crowds flowed like paint from an artist's brush."

"I felt the warm wind in my hair."

"For a brief moment, I felt connected to the world in a way I never had before."

"It was most profound feeling of comfort in sense of belonging I could of ever asked for."

Simon's Voice from E3 2015 Trailer

"You know what sucks about dying?"

"The crash, everything up until now, the brain damage, you guys, everything. Has made my life so much more, real."

"I have never been more excited to be alive!"

"All that hope, wasted."

I wonder if their is some narrative tie-in behind these two for the game, are these like the AtDD Loading Screen background lore. (The little girl Hazel's, story would be elaborated during level loading)
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 02:24 PM by Rapture.)
09-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11
RE: 2015-09 Thursday 2nd, Sink into the Crushing Isolation of SOMA – New Trailer

A question that maybe worth considering to answer is to specify how this game will be different than "A Machine For Pigs". Of course it's known that the developer was different, but I think there are some out there that are going to be looking for more assurances than that.
09-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

But what would make people see any similarity to AMFP in the first place? The machine part? To be honest, I doubt the common people will compare it to an Amnesia game right off the bat. If they do, they likely know of the developer and thus how those games are different already.

Of course it wouldn't hurt doing anyway though...

09-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

That second to last clip of the lab looks to be the cleanest, brightest environment I've seen in SOMA so far Smile
09-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-09-2015, 04:28 PM)MrSteve Wrote: That second to last clip of the lab looks to be the cleanest, brightest environment I've seen in SOMA so far Smile

I think this is at site Delta, so probably it's the brightest site in the game. Also, we can see there (probably) the machine that scaned Simon's brain (from the e3 trailer, "brain damage...") if you can look closely.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015, 05:18 PM by TiManGames.)
09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Don't like the girls voice at all.
Sound cheap to me... :S
The graphics of the game are ++ not +++ (yet) Maybe Soma 2?...
Offcourse i will buy the game, i will NOT make mods for it, let the younger people take taht over from (me at least)
We will see how the game will be... I hope more then 8 horus, or i will be SUPER disappointed!
09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-09-2015, 06:18 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Don't like the girls voice at all.
Offcourse i will buy the game, i will NOT make mods for it, let the younger people take taht over from (me at least)
We will see how the game will be... I hope more then 8 horus, or i will be SUPER disappointed!
FG did outstanding work with the engine. Graphically the game looks better that original Bioshock in UE.
If I would have to make an engine like that from scratch, we'll be only playing pixelized tetris in black and white (if it wouldn't crash a lot).
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015, 07:20 PM by Radiance.)
09-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-09-2015, 06:18 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Don't like the girls voice at all.

So a good game for you is:

-Awesome voice acting (We're talking here about some good advanced shit)

-8 hours long AT LEAST

- GTA V GRAPHICS

Sorry for being a douchebag, but srsly:

Voice acting: it's a small indie developer, c'mon! They are doing the best as they can. Also, the voice acting is WAY better than what was in amnesia, so think about it.

Length: Frictional said that the average time of the game is 8.5-10 hours, and It's based on 40 people who played the beta.

Graphics: First, the graphics are much better than amnesia ( Advanced Lightning, real time particles, etc) and as I said before, it's only a small team who created this game. And besides, the game looks detailed as fuck. The atmosphere is leaking from every corner of the game, so the graphics are absolutely fine for SOMA.

So I don't think you should be that disappointed, they are doing thier best. I think it'll work much better than it was in amnesia.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM by TiManGames.)
09-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Let's try allowing to let this conversation to hold some semblance of constructiveness shall we? One can criticize FG's work and if others disagree they can talk back as long as both sides have something proper to add.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Find