Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom assets and objects for map making?
NateTheGreatt Offline

Threads: 4
Question  Custom assets and objects for map making?

I was just wondering if anyone knew or if the devs could answer me this: What's the best way to make my own custom assets and objects for maps and levels? 3ds max or another similar 3d modeling tool? Is there another program that I need to convert to .obj files?
09-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Custom assets and objects for map making?

Maya would probably the easiest as the up-axis is the same in the engine (It's what FG uses anyway).

Export is COLLADA.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

I imported some custom assets into the game as seen in this thread:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4378.html

I used 3dsmax 2009, but the built in COLLADA exporter is bugged, I used a plugin one. Exporting is pretty simple.

When your model is finished, uv unwrap it, collapse all and keep only editable mesh, and put a diffuse material, then export. Load it up on the ModelEditor and the rest of the work is dona all there.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

If you are just starting with modeling them Maya or 3dMax aren't the best option for you, they are expensive (of course everyone pirate them) and they are overly complicated to new comers.

Theres two free 3D tools that are able to export to collada and one is very simple to use, this tool is called Wings3D and is only a modeling tool so no animation but for modeling and texturing is just fantastic, here is a link to it, http://www.wings3d.com/ (download the development one not the stable one) it was my first 3d app and is still one of the best tools for subdivision modeling.

The other more powerful tool is Blender 2.5 it does everything that Maya or 3DMax does but for FREE.

I personally use 3 modeling apps:

Wings3D/Modo 401 for modeling, Modo 401 for rendering and Blender 2.5 for animation.

My modeling portfolio.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj304/Argoon/
09-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Find
NateTheGreatt Offline

(09-16-2010, 07:53 PM)Argoon Wrote: If you are just starting with modeling them Maya or 3dMax aren't the best option for you, they are expensive (of course everyone pirate them) and they are overly complicated to new comers.

Theres two free 3D tools that are able to export to collada and one is very simple to use, this tool is called Wings3D and is only a modeling tool so no animation but for modeling and texturing is just fantastic, here is a link to it, http://www.wings3d.com/ (download the development one not the stable one) it was my first 3d app and is still one of the best tools for subdivision modeling.

The other more powerful tool is Blender 2.5 it does everything that Maya or 3DMax does but for FREE.

I personally use 3 modeling apps:

Wings3D/Modo 401 for modeling, Modo 401 for rendering and Blender 2.5 for animation.

My modeling portfolio.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj304/Argoon/

I have experience with both 3ds Max and Blender 3D. I was just wondering which would be easiest to work with / export with. I'll check out Wings3D, I've never heard of it.

I plan on making a journey to the center of the earth-esque mod, and I was wondering if should I make the entire base map in the 3d modeling program? Or just make separate assets and stuff to build it in the HPL2 editor? I've never done level design so I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing it the best. I know I need to use the HPL2 editor to add engine-specifics in and such.
09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Just so you know: It is very possible to do an entire map as a single static object in case you want to.

For example the larger part of the "Cistern Entrance" map in the game was made like that.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM by Thomas.)
09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

(09-16-2010, 11:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: Just so you know: It is very possible to do an entire map as a single static object in case you want to.

For example the larger part of the "Cistern Entrance" map in the game was made like that.

Will the culling system work well with this? If so i really would like to work in this way because i'm more fast on the my 3d apps them the level editor.

Edit: I seam to be unable to import my static model test map, the .dae file becomes invisible or only some parts are shown on the model editor, i tried 3 exporting collada tools, the wings3D, the blender 2.54 and the FBX to collada exporter none of them seam to be able to make a valid collada file for this engine.

I will try with a simple box.

Only the fbx to collada converter made a valid .dae mesh on my test with the simple box, the wings3D collada file was all mess upped, the fbx file was exported from wings3D and it worked, so the collada exporter from wings3D is not working correctly with this engine, but it did worked on other collada only engine the C4 engine.

Edit: Found the problem with my models, i needed to triangulate it before converting to collada.
09-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Quote:Will the culling system work well with this? If so i really would like to work in this way because i'm more fast on the my 3d apps them the level editor.

Just make sure the static object consists of several submeshes and all should be good.
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Find
NateTheGreatt Offline

(09-16-2010, 11:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: Just so you know: It is very possible to do an entire map as a single static object in case you want to.

Okay, I think I will do that then. I want my maps to be very unique and not repetitive.

Are there any resources you could suggest that will show me how to export COLLADA correctly, textures and all? I've exported one of my models to .dae but I realize it's not as simple as that, as I've tried importing that file to the model editor. It gets the model in but I'm not sure how to get the texture on it.
09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

You need to divide your model in submeshs just like Thomas said and assign a material to the meshs with the texture that you wan't, them open the .dae file on the model editor and them click on "View - outline" a small window will come up showing the names of the individual meshs on your model, click on on a name and that mesh will become selected and outlined on the 3d view, them on the right side click on the material option and chose a material to assign to the model, you can assign a existing material or one made by you.

i was able to open a simple "map" on the model viewer and assign material to it but the model is gigantic, it is 3 meters high on my 3d app but on the model editor it seams to be 30meters or more.

I tried to edit the collada file by changing the meter value and no mater what i assigned the model is still very big. Sad
09-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Find