Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.18 Average
Belphegor [On hold - 2nd Demo out!] (Video is up!)
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Belphegor [Wip - 2nd Demo out!] (Video requested)

Just finished my playthrough, and here are my thoughts:

Spoiler below!
Atmosphere: 4/10. Not trying to be mean, but hear me out. I saw many, many, many lights shining through walls, flickering textures, areas with no ceiling, etc. and it can very quickly ruin the immersion of the player.

Story: 6/10. Again, not trying to be mean, but I truly don't know what my overall goal is. Why did I kill Herr? Why did I fall through the water and end up in some secondary realm? I think there need to be more connections between the gameplay events so the player has a sense of direction.

Level Design: In some areas, 4/10. In others, 9/10. The area I most enjoyed was the realm of reflections or whatever it is called because it was a very unique area. Going through different doors activated different things in the same room, and the player has to solve an overarching puzzle through using the different "powers". Other places, however, just didn't feel all that impressive, particularly the library. It just felt like several rows of bookshelves that would never have been placed that way in real life, and that was really all there was to it. I think going into greater detail to make unique areas (like the world of reflections) would serve you well if you did it all over rather than in just the one area.

Gameplay: 5/10. The monsters were unpredictable, yes, but a lot of times they didn't really make much sense either. For example, why is this grunt that has been walking in front of me the whole time now spawning behind me? Why is the brute on the other side of the breakable wall when there is no way for it to get in or out otherwise? Being unpredictable is good, but making no sense is not. Try to find a balance between the two. One doesn't just disappear randomly, there has to be somewhere for it to GO so it can pop back up again. Even if there are supposedly multiple monsters, having it disappear at a dead end makes no sense to the player.

Puzzles: 7/10. Not too many of the typical "use key on door" things, and a lot of puzzles were quite unique, particularly the entire world of reflections. However, that was really the only puzzle that stood out in my mind, as the rest were simply fetch-and-use puzzles which, although they weren't always keys, they did tend to work like keys. I think if you mixed things up a bit, you could accomplish a lot.

Overall: 6/10. There is still a lot of work to be done. However, you have done a good job so far in many areas, and other areas just need a bit of improvement. I hope you will finish this story, because I think it is definitely worth it.

05-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(05-18-2011, 03:53 AM)Anxt Wrote: Just finished my playthrough, and here are my thoughts:

Spoiler below!
Atmosphere: 4/10. Not trying to be mean, but hear me out. I saw many, many, many lights shining through walls, flickering textures, areas with no ceiling, etc. and it can very quickly ruin the immersion of the player.

Story: 6/10. Again, not trying to be mean, but I truly don't know what my overall goal is. Why did I kill Herr? Why did I fall through the water and end up in some secondary realm? I think there need to be more connections between the gameplay events so the player has a sense of direction.

Level Design: In some areas, 4/10. In others, 9/10. The area I most enjoyed was the realm of reflections or whatever it is called because it was a very unique area. Going through different doors activated different things in the same room, and the player has to solve an overarching puzzle through using the different "powers". Other places, however, just didn't feel all that impressive, particularly the library. It just felt like several rows of bookshelves that would never have been placed that way in real life, and that was really all there was to it. I think going into greater detail to make unique areas (like the world of reflections) would serve you well if you did it all over rather than in just the one area.

Gameplay: 5/10. The monsters were unpredictable, yes, but a lot of times they didn't really make much sense either. For example, why is this grunt that has been walking in front of me the whole time now spawning behind me? Why is the brute on the other side of the breakable wall when there is no way for it to get in or out otherwise? Being unpredictable is good, but making no sense is not. Try to find a balance between the two. One doesn't just disappear randomly, there has to be somewhere for it to GO so it can pop back up again. Even if there are supposedly multiple monsters, having it disappear at a dead end makes no sense to the player.

Puzzles: 7/10. Not too many of the typical "use key on door" things, and a lot of puzzles were quite unique, particularly the entire world of reflections. However, that was really the only puzzle that stood out in my mind, as the rest were simply fetch-and-use puzzles which, although they weren't always keys, they did tend to work like keys. I think if you mixed things up a bit, you could accomplish a lot.

Overall: 6/10. There is still a lot of work to be done. However, you have done a good job so far in many areas, and other areas just need a bit of improvement. I hope you will finish this story, because I think it is definitely worth it.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Yes, the things you speak of is mainly why I have put this project on hold. It has taught me much, but as it was the first map I ever made it had some missing quality. Making the player play through "half-good" to reach "good" isn't going to cut it for a map.

I've tried your map as well, but it didn't fit my taste. Perhaps we are different in our mapmaking & priorities. I gave up when you were looking for the orb pieces (going through long dark hallways, without much entities, all looking the same.. Uhm like repetitive). Didn't really want to post it, since I hadn't finished. I am guessing that as you are learning as well, chapter 2 is of better quality. No map will probably be "perfect" though.

But I enjoy that you actually took yourself the time to write such detailed information on my story. Qualitative feedback is always a basis for improvement Wink

I don't want to be mean too! (with the negative feedback)

Edit: I think the grunt part double spawn could be a bug btw, which I'll get to fixing.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2011, 04:02 AM by Acies.)
05-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Find
Anxt Offline

(05-19-2011, 03:58 AM)Acies Wrote:
(05-18-2011, 03:53 AM)Anxt Wrote: Just finished my playthrough, and here are my thoughts:

Spoiler below!

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Yes, the things you speak of is mainly why I have put this project on hold. It has taught me much, but as it was the first map I ever made it had some missing quality. Making the player play through "half-good" to reach "good" isn't going to cut it for a map.

I've tried your map as well, but it didn't fit my taste. Perhaps we are different in our mapmaking & priorities. I gave up when you were looking for the orb pieces (going through long dark hallways, without much entities, all looking the same.. Uhm like repetitive). Didn't really want to post it, since I hadn't finished. I am guessing that as you are learning as well, chapter 2 is of better quality. No map will probably be "perfect" though.

But I enjoy that you actually took yourself the time to write such detailed information on my story. Qualitative feedback is always a basis for improvement Wink

I don't want to be mean too! (with the negative feedback)

Yes, I am absolutely still learning. I know I have a lot of long dark hallways with little to separate them from others. I always tried to make the events unique though, such as the book event in the West Wing, and the monster chase in the Archives. I never meant to have so many long hallways, but that's just how things turn out sometimes. I watched a couple of friends play through my story recently and they kept shooting me evil glares at the dark hallways, so I think it is effective towards some people.

I would very much like for you to finish my map though and let me know what you think, I haven't gotten a lot of honest feedback (except for the few that took the time to tell me where I went wrong, and the majority of those were beta testers xD)

At any rate, I look forward to seeing more of your work Smile

05-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

I can surely do Smile
Right now I am working on some that quacks like awesome and walks like awesome. Due to your detailed feedback I think you would be a good beta tester.

05-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Find
Anxt Offline

I always try to be as objective as possible and tell people where they can improve rather than "Oh man this was awesome!" or "Oh man this was terrible!"

So if you want me to test for you, I'd be more than happy to, just send me a PM or something Smile

05-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Find
Karai16 Offline

Threads: 24

just out of curiousity, is this the thing Cry and I voiceacted for? (I can't play the map yet because I'm having finals, so I don't have time)

Custom stories:
Her Games (100% Complete)
Her Games, All Bugs Fixed (100% Complete)
05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Nope, you voiceacted for my current project - this one is on hold Smile

05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Find
Karai16 Offline

Threads: 24

(05-17-2011, 06:56 PM)Acies Wrote: As for the scare:
Spoiler below!

A friend of mine actually came up with it. I wanted to make the player feel that the weird wall was "safe" - by allowing him to pass it several times before anything actually happened. I feel that innovative scares are important.

Sounds like the scare I came up with! Damn you for being there ahead of me! Tongue nvm though, I'll come up with something else...

Custom stories:
Her Games (100% Complete)
Her Games, All Bugs Fixed (100% Complete)
05-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Find
Tenno Offline

Threads: 0

Very unique and interesting custom story. I really liked the way you have experimented with it to bring exciting fresh ideas. Some of the scares were very well done and it never got boring. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to see a final product soon. Keep at it and good luck with your future projects Smile

[Image: 29069he.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM by Tenno.)
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Belphegor [Wip - 2nd Demo out!] (Video ongoing)

(05-26-2011, 11:20 AM)Tenno Wrote: Very unique and interesting custom story. I really liked the way you have experimented with it to bring exciting fresh ideas. Some of the scares were very well done and it never got boring. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to see a final product soon. Keep at it and good luck with your future projects Smile

Haha nice. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As for future project(s), one is on the way - very slowly though.

The forum user Cryaotic has been kind enough to video record a playthrough of my map. All parts of it are not released so far, but I will link the parts which are Smile

05-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Find