Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2
RE: Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?

(06-14-2011, 02:24 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote:
(05-08-2011, 03:14 AM)graykin Wrote: Amnesia, while being tense and having some good horror moments, didn't scare me like, say, Black Plague did.
This one I don't understand cause penumbra was way less scary then Amnesia TDD

It's all a matter of personal perspective. Penumbra and Amnesia don't have absolute scariness that we could measure with science.
06-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(06-15-2011, 02:38 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 02:24 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote:
(05-08-2011, 03:14 AM)graykin Wrote: Amnesia, while being tense and having some good horror moments, didn't scare me like, say, Black Plague did.
This one I don't understand cause penumbra was way less scary then Amnesia TDD

It's all a matter of personal perspective. Penumbra and Amnesia don't have absolute scariness that we could measure with science.

Agreed
06-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Website Find
LoveBlaze Offline

Denying my fears really only worked with the water demon, and I'm not so scared of it at all any more. Honestly, I'd rather face 1,000 water demons than do the prison again. In my mind, hell, they're invisible,they can look like a cute fluffy kitten that just has a biting issue for all we know. Now they really only give me a little shock right as I'm jumping from the water onto a box, that's like a "Get on the box...on the box...on the box!" feeling. Randomly, I find the Infected in Black Plague scarier than the Gatherers, but I was much more scared by Amnesia than any of the Penumbra games, even using the same tactics I did on the water demon. Totally depends but I find this topic interesting too.

"THERE IT IS! RUN!"
"NO I WAS GOING TO STOP FOR A CUP OF TEA WITH IT!"
06-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Find
Synatic Offline

i think it gets down to "getting in the game". I've seen guys who play it and stay calm and simply concentrate that much to not get scared, i've tried it myself and if u start things like simply ditching the grunt by running past him to a level door he seems quite unscary, but eventually you get unsettling moments (e.g. beeing too stupid to get up a box in the water ^^) also some ppl simply do not want that concentration, they play the game to get scared so the last they would do is trying to expect what is going to happen to develop counter measures from fear.

For myself... i haven't finished a custom story i started (abduction) and i have not finished the real game yet. xD

Let's just say: I'm preserving the fun for a really boring night Big Grin
06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

I wish the game was more scaring. In the first playtrough there were some nice scares, in the second it was like an action game with no more scares...

That's my opinion.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Find
Fiddlesticks Offline

Threads: 0

I've only played it once. It was scary but I'm not playing it again 'til I buy a headset. I hope it's much more scarier with headphones than speakers.
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Can't day it is scarier but it's definitely more "atmospheric".

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

I'd say it's the feeling of helplessness as well. Play any PS1 shooter classics like Tomb Raider, sure there's monsters, but you have a sense of relief knowing you have a huge gun in your hand. I also feel like I don't know what's going to come at me next, and all dark corners are a definate scare. Frictional Games definately put the F in Fear when they made Amnesia.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
07-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
Niklas Offline

Threads: 9

It didnt work for amnesia , i keept telling myself "IT'S JUST A GAME" but i still got scared shitless-
07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Find
Angerpull Offline

Threads: 24

Seeing as I can actually fend off a brute face to face standing 2feet away from him without him attacking me, I can say I do not, fear these monsters at all. Water monster? Hit it in the head and make him fall through the world... Grunt you say? Throw two objects at him super fast to make him glitch. Brute you say? Just hold something and cover his crotch area and you can walk straight past the damn thing.

Completed Amnesia without hiding, running or dying... 2nd time I played it... 1st time was absolutely terrifying... died 9 times...
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Find