The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures
TheBlazer Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Months, 1 Week ago Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures

Specs:
i5 4570
GTX 770 - 2GB VRAM (latest drivers)
8GB RAM
Windows 10

So I have arrived at the point where you call in your first Zeppelin and you have to get it working (don't want to spoil anything here), and every time I stepped on the ship's loading platform to use the Omnitool terminal or the memory box the game crashed.

I had read something about texture memory usage on the Steam forums, so I set my textures to medium instead of high. Surprise surprise, the game works and I can proceed. Now, I'm still at the landed Zeppelin's platform, and if I set textures to high again, the game instantly crashes with a video driver crash.

At this point I'm wondering if crashing is caused by the game running out of video memory for textures, especially considering that my graphics card "only" has 2 gigs. It doesn't help that the Steam requirements don't list the recommended amount of VRAM. Now I don't want to do the developers' job, but the textures in SOMA are nice but they don't look that hi-res, so I'm not sure how they could possibly require more than 2GB.

TL;DR Crashing seems to be related to texture quality for me.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM by TheBlazer.)
09-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures - by TheBlazer - 09-26-2015, 02:01 PM
RE: Crashing and I'm wondering if it's caused by textures - by darkroastbeans - 09-27-2015, 01:05 AM