Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

OpenAL Audio Update: Use 1.0.2553 Patch instead!
zerxen Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months, 1 Week ago RE: OpenAL Audio Update / Feedback

So... first of all, love this game! { have to say it in my first post Wink }

Preambule:
Intel C2D E6600, 2Gb Ram,GPU 7600GS 256MB,SB Audigy 2
Debian, Fedora 8 32-bit and 64-bit tripple boot

Second, ...
On both of my fedoras,
{ they had some issues with sound from very beginning with this new "pulse audio" thing, but I downgraded to pure "alsa" with emulated oss }
I have experienced this sound issue:
- Original game crashed with open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
- so, I found out this new lib from Urkle.
- Game was running, but sound was crappy Sad ... too crappy for longer play
- Wondered with google ... no luck, then I tried some of these tricks in /etc/openalrc
- Unexplainable sollution occured to me.

I work as a linux admin, but sound system is a mystery for me yet, so my weird
solution:
1) downgraded to the original sound lib { the one witch did not run for me in the beginning }
2) edited my /etc/openalrc so that it contained only :
(define devices '(oss))
3) now, the fun part, I have started skype { whitch is another weird oss using app }
4) and started the game without any problem :lol:, only that skype lost it's abylity to use sound system as well as all other programs in the system.

If someone knows what has happened, let me know. My quess is that skype is somehow programed to try to recreate missing /dev/[sound/]dsp device to have oss support in alsa ... and so penumbra is able to steal his creation.

But to be honest, I feel like some african shaman speaking stupidity to the crowd. So please someone bring some light in to this matter ...

PS: I have still not tried debian ...
03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread