Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.
gatts205 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.

I would almost take this concept of no jumpscares even further. I would say we need more custom stories with no intentional scariness in the first place. Something that solely tells a story to the best of it's ability. Although there are a few that are like this, I feel there should be so much more. People who design custom stories, from the many I have played with very few exceptions, get so locked up in trying to scare the player that it drags down the quality of all the other aspects of the game. This is not simply limited to jumpscares, but, to a lesser extent, atmospheric scares as well. The best example of an atmospheric scare gone wrong is the use of too much darkness such that exploration becomes a burden. This darkness does add to the tension that an area generates, but more often than not becomes little more than a nuisance. Sometimes I do not want to wade through endless tension just to be rewarded with an overly terse note that adds nothing to the back story or plot. This can be fine on some occasions, but every other custom story seems to be based on this tired model.

None of this is meant to sound offensive to those who enjoy playing or designing scary stories. I apologize if it does.
02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - by gatts205 - 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM