Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.

A monster turning a corner is fine. That's not what I call a jump-scare. A jump-scare is this:
"You're cowering in the darkness in an abandoned mansion, where a deformed masked ghost monster tortured and strung up 80 people, whose screams you can still hear echoing through these halls.
SCREAMING MY LITTLE PONY IN YOUR FACE!!!
There is no trace of the sudden pony that just hit you. It is obvious that the sadistic killer is nearby, and you can hear him sharpening hi-.
SCREAMING MY LITTLE PONY IN YOUR FACE, AGAIN!!!"

1. Any suspense that you've built up to this point, will pop and vanish.
2. Most of the scares don't make any sense what so ever. It's just a guy and a scream. He didn't come from anywhere, he has no reason for being there, and he presents no actual threat to the player, making him a screaming drama queen.
3. It removes all immersion, by telling you in the most blatant way, that the designer is trying to scare the player. Any story that you've built up, will be ignored beyond that point, because the story doesn't explain the weird scares.
4. It's cheap and overdone. People want to experience new and clever things.
5. It is not horror. Being startled is not feeling horror. It's a way to scare somebody, but it's not a way to make the player feel horror, just as Gorn (blood and gore) can horr-ify people, or make them feel horr-ible, without making them feel horr-or. (Note that a few people can't feel horror at all.)

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012, 04:30 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
04-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - by Cranky Old Man - 04-06-2012, 04:29 AM