Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Machine is real -attention! sadly emotions!
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The Machine is real -attention! sadly emotions!

(02-27-2012, 11:22 PM)jfcwilson Wrote:
Quote:ns and vegans to rub it in the faces of everyone else
This is certainly true, but I'd say that omnivorious people do it just as much. Just the other day I had a friend tell me over and over how amazing his bacon pizza was, and that I should really, really have some. I can take a bit of teasing, but these are beliefs I hold very dearly(obviously) and I don't appreachiate them being poked at(just as you would not appreachiate yours being poked at by an in-your-face vegan).

Quote:you can't easily make people relinquish something that has been enjoyed by humans for literally millennia.
True. Does that alone make the practice acceptable? I don't think so.
Lots and lots of bad things are "engrained in our culture". That hasn't stopped us from, over time, pruning them out.
For thousands of years, woman have been regarded as inferior. For thousands of years, people have kept slaves and engaged in genocide. Should we do so too, just because our civilization has for so long? The obvious answer is, "No, but eating animals is not comparable to slavery. It's a whole seperate issue." And you'd be absolutly right. It isn't comparable as an issue, at least on the surface. The point is that slavery and eating animals are both things that humans have done for thousands of years, and one of them has just recently been declared morally bankrupt.

Quote:Also, many (maybe even most) people love the taste of meat (me included), and that fact alone I think is enough to hinder any major anti-meat campaign.

Well, yes, it is a hinder. If there weren't any difficult obstacles to this objective, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Some of the pretentious vegans you describe would now say, "well, yes, I LOVED meat, but that didn't stop me from making the right decision." It's completly understandable how that could alienate many people.

But, I will now leave behind the subject of eating meat, and enter the world of hunting. If a world of vegans is impossible(and only time will tell), then, please, hunt your own food. Have a personal, direct confrontation with your prey and kill it with mercy. Don't pay for it to be placed on a conveyer chain and killed brutally at the end of a life of suffering and confinement. Next to becoming a vegan I don't see this as being so hard. My view is this: If you can't face the animal you eat, look it in the eye, kill it quickly and painlessly, and eat it gratefully, respecting it as an individial creature, then you don't deserve to eat meat at all. I'll admit it, that's why I'm vegan, because I don't have the guts to kill.
These are all good points, and I mostly agree, although one thing I will add: just because I want to eat meat doesn't mean I agree with the way it is mass-produced. Of course, it has to be mass produced, seeing as how it's going to be mass consumed, but there are probably other ways to do it that are both cheaper and more humane. As for the hunting, I have indeed shot and killed an animal for consumation. It is one of the "boons" of living in the utter middle of fucking nowhere, Norway. Where I live, it seems everyone hunts, so I had to try it out. I didn't enjoy it. Not because of the killing, I'm fine with that, but because I don't like hanging out in cold, wet forests :V

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Machine is real -attention! sadly emotions! - by Gasjockey - 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM