Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "10 Ways to Evolve Horror Games"
SquigPie Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Blog: "10 Ways to Evolve Horror Games"

In my opinion, there is no such thing as superior horror, or even something that can be defined as "true horror". The people who hate Dead Space often say that Silent Hill is where it's at, but even Silent Hill leaps great distances in horror styles. 2 was a very melancholic and "creepy" game, where most of the scares where subtle and took some thought to get the full extent out off. 1 and 3 where far more straightforward, especially 3, which was very close to Amnesia in terms of scaring methods, if Silent Hill 2 is a creepy knock on the door, Silent Hill 3 and Amnesia are loud bangings on every door and wall in the room, and Dead Space is the psychotic, mutated homeless guy who jumps through your window and throws stuff at you. The fact that it's bright for most parts, made alot of people call it unscary. They fail to see that Dead Space is driven by body horror, a form of horror which works best if viewed in its full glory. Then there's the "You have way too much ammo and the game is easy" camp, I wonder if these people have ever actually played Silent Hill 2, where every monster was slow, only took 3 shots to down, and where ammo practically rained from the sky. And of course, the "The game isn't scary" camp, the problem here is that you can't define horror this way, some people found Dead Space terrifying and Amnesia dull, this doesn't make them stupid, impatient or immature. People are scared by different things. To some people, the implication of a hint of a monster is true horror. To others, the monster, standing in its full, twisted, puking glory is true horror.'

I appreciate both. Though I prefer Silent Hill 3/Amnesia horror.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM by SquigPie.)
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blog: "10 Ways to Evolve Horror Games" - by SquigPie - 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM