Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Dark Seclusion [With Scare Montage Vid]
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Dark Seclusion [With Scare Montage Vid]

(The following is my opinion on this CS, and suggestions I feel will help improvement for this or later projects)

The good news:
-The sound was good, and I enjoyed the music (even if it did only play in a few levels). I loves me some Beethoven, and I believe I even heard some Bioshock OST in there Tongue

The bad news:
-The mapping could best be described as 4/10 (with 1-3 being in the PDP/Jumpscare category).
There were many clipping textures, many empty rooms, and a lot of items that didn't belong in the build set (ie putting a giant demon-baby-face-fountain in a mansion base room)

-Lighting was poor. No boxlights = not good. Your use of fog and billboards left much to be desired. Even a boxlight with all values (r,b,g,a) at 0.05f will significantly increase your lighting.

Things to consider:
-Better lighting (ambient point lights, window spotlights, and matching colors of aforementioned lights with its corresponding structure [ie blue window == blue light+matching gobo])
-Non-clipping textures on walls/floor
-Use of the tie feature for floors/ceilings,
-More particle systems (such as fog/dust, not the fog area tool) and better use of billboards
-Music in every level, and ambient sounds (perhaps a timer loop for random sounds)
-Less predictable scares (like not having a poof-er charge you when you pick up a key)
-Logical progression of levels (or more specifically, level bases [ie mansion, dungeon, cellar, castle], in no point in a logical progression will you go from a mansion to a dungeon set, they simply don't mix)

Closing Thoughts:
One last note is that I found that your story seemed like it was set for a modern era, but was made with Amnesia/Medieval-eqsue parts. This irked me.

I hope you find the time to read this wall of text and take what you can from it. If this was your first project, it was pretty well done. Modding for Amnesia isn't something you can learn from reading tutorials, its something you have to invest time in to learn and get a feel for the engine.

I wish you luck in future projects!

I rate it 3 memes.
06-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dark Seclusion - by Statyk - 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by FragdaddyXXL - 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by Adny - 05-19-2012, 11:51 PM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by FragdaddyXXL - 05-20-2012, 01:25 AM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by FragdaddyXXL - 05-23-2012, 01:40 AM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by FragdaddyXXL - 05-28-2012, 06:36 AM
RE: Dark Seclusion - by METALMONKEY1986 - 05-28-2012, 06:45 PM