Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.

The term hardcore gamer is used loosely, even though the topic starter would have me to believe that a hardcore gamer is one who actively seeks a challenge, and when there isn't one, try to make it hard the best way you can given the game mechanics. Would i consider myself a hardcore gamer? Only in the sense on the amount of time i waste playing games, and so is my definition of a hardcore gamer.

Following from that definition, why would i or anyone spend a lot of time on any one game? While i cannot make the same claim for everyone, i do so 'cause i enjoy the game--i find entertainment in it, whatever it may be. Perhaps i am under the wrong impression, but i consider games a form of entertainment. If i actively seek ways to frustrate myself, i would be contradicting my search for entertainment.

Of course, i do not mean to say that a challenge is not wanted. I don't mind a challenge so long as the mechanics aren't clunky. If, for example, a game is to put me in situations where speed is required, character handling better not be slow. In the case of health regeneration, this would allow for a greater challenge, whether through more accurate AIs or more intelligent AIs. When you have health which you can heal at any time, the challenge is reduced. The only thing making it difficult, then, would be inventory space, and perhaps the amount of time that needs to pass before reusing an item of the same type. For what kind of a challenge would you have if you are allowed 1000 health potions that can be used at any given time? Wouldn't you then be complaining about this instead of health regeneration?

Then there are situations where both health regeneration and health potions are found in the same scenario. How much less of a challenge would there be? If a challenge, therefore, can only be achieved by the removal of game mechanics, what's the point in investing in games if you're going to be getting less and less of what would have otherwise provided for a better experience? Surely you would limit your purchases of games if you didn't think you would get your money's worth.

I am not one who submits to the price tag upon release of a game, unless i feel i would be getting my money's worth. And as stated, i am one who seeks entertainment from the medium known as games. An increase or change in game mechanics towards health regeneration isn't going to put me off as a consumer, per se. The issue isn't in the health regeneration itself, but the situations involving the game mechanics present in the game. You may not be able to satisfy everyone, but a game "works" because it complements itself.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games. - by Your Computer - 07-24-2012, 03:41 AM