Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stories up for grabs
LoneWolfGen Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Stories up for grabs

(11-29-2012, 10:57 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 10:14 PM)LoneWolfGen Wrote: If you're here to complain that people should make their own stories, why I shouldn't be doing this, blah blah blah, then bugger off please.

You could have not been so rude about it but, at least you make it clear Smile

On the first, although that story doesn't lend itself well to an Amnesia mod, I think it would make for a far more compelling world if the people living there weren't brainwashed, but had a totally rational and believable reason for wanting to live there. Not everyone in the real world needed to be brainwashed in order to live quite happily under what we see as an oppressive regime, just a very different way of looking at the world - that, to me at least, makes for a much more interesting issue, more interesting and believable characters, and genuine moral questions for the player to consider.
Also, if I was in an extremely powerful 3 man dictatorship, I wouldn't call my island 'Totalitaria', that's just asking for trouble

Brainwash:
Make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

Although I see where you are coming from, brainwashed doesn't necessarily mean that their reasons are not rational. It simply means that they think that what they believe is rational. If I you were to go to Korea, you would hear a completely different story of the Korean War. Some would think that they were brainwashed, but it's really point of view and what has been taught. Either way, however, it's still about perspective, and I think brainwash is a viable word to use.

(11-30-2012, 03:14 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
The Banishing sounds like it would be more fitting for a Diablo addon or the like. Not that it's bad, but it's pretty standard holy-knight-against-demons stuff is what I'm saying. Maybe you could try and make it more ambigous and interesting somehow?

Think of Shadow over Innsmouth for example. The Deep Ones could be considered evil in what they ask of the people of Innsmouth, but they have also brought prosperity to them in return. It's sort of a symbiosis and thus perfectly understandable why the villagers would choose to make a bargain with them and defend their secret towards outsiders.

Also the motivations of the protagonist for investigating the village are a at first not directly connected to what's really happening there, so the reader (or player in case of the Call of Cthulhu - game) can discover the secrets along with the protagonist which makes for a more intriguing story arc overall.
I personally find that approach more interesting than simply getting an order to "go there, destroy that" from a superior.

These are the baby steps of the story. What you want to do with them is your decision. It's like a marble block. I supply the block, but it's your job to refine it in whatever way your heart desires. I made it simple to keep it flexible. Although if you wished to adopt this story, I see that you could absolutely do some interesting things with it. Smile

LoneWolfGen (Josh Demon)

"Now leave me alone, I am off to destroy your brother!" - Christopher Titus
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2012, 10:01 PM by LoneWolfGen.)
11-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Stories up for grabs - by LoneWolfGen - 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Stories up for grabs - by Adrianis - 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
RE: Stories up for grabs - by LoneWolfGen - 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM
RE: Stories up for grabs - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM