The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My thoughts on Black Plague vs. Overture
Penumbra Offline

Threads: 7
My thoughts on Black Plague vs. Overture

Both games were really good, but for some reason after finishing Black Plague, I kept wishing it was more like Overture. So, I did a little analizing to see what parts I liked about each.

Overture

Overture was way more mysterious than Black Plague. You'd go into the mine and have no idea what to expect. I usually hate scarry things, so the only reason I kept playing was to find out what was going on and what happened to Philip's dad. Not to menchon, there were 3 different types of 'new' monsters, so just when you'd get used to one, another will show up.

Now, I also noticed there was a difference in the way things scarred me. Overture would get me scarred and tense with the music and then I'd manage to hold my breath and make it past a monster to a 'safe place' that made me feel calm. Right when I felt safe, BANG, something charges at me or breaks down my barricaid or breaks through a hole in the celing. So, instead of trying to creep you out with blood and grose looking things, Overture gave you 'shocks' that would make you jump.

Black Plague

When I started playing Black Plague I was eager to find out what exatly was going on in this place. After I was a little ways through the game I was begining to be dissapointed because the whole thing was caused by 'deamons' or 'aliens'. (This was shortly after the sewer area) After making it out of the sewers, I had noticed a familar pattern. I was going from place to place to find clues, items, and ect, but for some reason I felt that it was more of a scavenger hunt. Once I had made it into the library, I had no motive to finish the game, I had already found out everything I needed to know. I was expecting to contantly be wondering Why is ______ or How do ______ happen.

Also, our new friend in Black Plague, Clarence, wasn't quite as mysterious as Red was. We knew that he was a 'virus' who had infected Philip. And the ending didn't leave me thinking too much, like Overture did. I guess I was just hoping for more of a mystierious ending.

Now, Black Plague used a different method of scarring us. There was discusting looking monsters, corpse's, and other 'creepy' things. There was never really a 'safe place' that made you feel safe when you actually weren't. Every where you went you knew that there was going to be another zombie. I just feel that there's a difference between 'scarry' and 'creepy'. Overture focused more on scarry and Black Plagues did more creepy than scarry.
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
My thoughts on Black Plague vs. Overture - by Penumbra - 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM