The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help DDS issues
TheMrDonsantos Offline

Threads: 1
DDS issues

After 48hrs i finally added a custom model to my CS! My very first one ever created, I did so by following Acies basic model guide. The first 20 tries with different models either made Maya crash at export, the model viewer crashed at import/open or anything else that could crash would crash.

My problem seemed to be the texture itself, not the model. I tried saving my UV-map by simply adding ".dds" in the filename when saving in Photoshop, this somehow corrupted the entire file I believe xD

I found no info on how to properly export .dds with the exception of that Nvidia plug-in which doesn't work for me (maybe cause of ATI card I dunno). So what I finally did was downloading a trial version of ""Image Converter Plus" where I converted my .iff files to .dds - applied them in Maya and suddenly all was fine and dandy

Now I have a few questions..
Is there a better way for the .dds export thingy.. I probably did some stupid mistake in photoshop. Do you use any special software or is it as simple as adding ".dds"?... this converter adds a watermark to my images, a bit annoying

The model shows up fine in model viewer, material viewer, model editor and in the game itself.. but in the level editor all I see is the wireframe for the model, no texture or anything. This could be problematic if I created walls for example - suggestions on how to fix this?

I wanna start with simple models such as boxes, crates and work my way forward. Right now my model is simple a box 1x1x1m and is red/blue on all sides as this was my simple test in photoshop. But if I want some real serious textures of wood, should I simply google "2d textures" and add it to my UV?

Are there better programs/plug-ins that help me with adding diffrent textures perfectly. And where should I find theses textures..

Let's say I do have a nice 2d texture of lets say tiled stone. And I want to create a plane in the level editor and use this texture. I somehow first must make it ".mat" How do I best go about this without adding it to a model first?

In the "Outsourcers Guide to Modeling" they speak of the diffrent mappings.. like diffuse, specular, normalmapping. My model I believe simply has the diffuse mapping, I made 1 UV-Map and in the material editor it is selected under Diffuse.

I suppose I should add all the others as well for the most realistic look, do I do this in Maya and how?.. by copying the .DDS several times or something?
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
DDS issues - by TheMrDonsantos - 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
RE: DDS issues - by Romulator - 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: DDS issues - by TheMrDonsantos - 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
RE: DDS issues - by OriginalUsername - 04-30-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: DDS issues - by TheMrDonsantos - 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: DDS issues - by WALP - 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: DDS issues - by OriginalUsername - 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
RE: DDS issues - by WALP - 04-30-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: DDS issues - by Acies - 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM