Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Unknown's scares
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Unknown's scares

I still haven't played through Doom 3, only once with noclip thoughout the entire game. Fuck that game is scary, too scary in fact. I didn't find Dead Space that scary, but I haven't played it through. In fact I think I'm going to sit down with Dead Space tonight before I forget the plot, I think I know how to get past the place I got stuck in last winter.

Anyhow, jump-scares are pretty much the only scares nowadays. When gaming was relatively new it was scarier and thanks to poor graphics and not clearly seeing things on the screen for example the Silent Hill series turned very scary - in fact for the same reason Doom 3 is scary, it's dark and the whole "fear for the unknown" kicks in. But nowadays we're completely spoiled and when a game gets too dark or too scary we moan about it and developers no longer dare to make games like back in the day.
Perhaps it's just me, but I haven't felt actual fear in a game in ages. Games are too bright, too clear, you always know what's going to happen and where you're going to go etc.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
09-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Unknown's scares - by Power_Infinity - 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM