The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?
Natural Offline

Threads: 2
Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?

One of the things I like about Amnesia (and other similar horror games) is the genuine sense of dread and fear you get from immersing yourself in it. However from as far back as I can remember I can't recall a horror movie coming close to scaring me as much as even an average survival-horror game. A lot of horror movies take the cheap way out and rely on "boo" scares or excessive gore to fit into the horror genre. Even the sensation of being chased, while an effective scare tool in a survival-horror game, doesn't translate as well into cinema. While slasher films are fun, I don't feel they come close to inducing that same sense of panic you get when you've got an Amnesia monster chasing you.

What movies have you seen (if any) which do a decent job of creating that sensation of dread, either through atmosphere or otherwise? I don't think any movie can re-create the same sensation as controlling your own character, but even if we got a list of solid, genuinely scary horror movies together I'd be satisfied (and have something to watch Tongue)

I'll get the ball rolling and throw out Event Horizon as a movie worth seeing if you can tolerate some Sci-Fi with your horror. Granted it has its share of gore and jump scares, but I remember feeling very uneasy when I watched it for the first time alone and at night.

Any others?
10-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game? - by Natural - 10-18-2010, 01:12 AM