Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Entity-connected lights and areas (solved)
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Entity-connected lights and areas (1 of 2 solved)

(02-01-2011, 10:06 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: Not wanting to burst your bubble, but if you can't find anything in the script functions, it'll most likely not work the way you want it, as there is no way of connecting areas to an entity.

Maybe use AttachPropToProp (?), but I have no idea how that one works.
Thought of that. AttachPropToProp only appears to work on non-area entities like furniture and such, as it wasn't moving the script areas at all, unfortunately.

I also tried adding a non-solid area to the ember (just a modified coal entity) that would collide with the player when they were within a certain range, but that didn't seem to have any effect at all (of course I'm new to modeling outside of ProE and the Model Editor in particular, so that was hardly surprising).

I'm currently attempting to get it to work by setting up lots of overlapping 3m by 3m areas throughout the map and assigning each a number, then changing two variables ("EmberLoc" and "PlayerLoc") depending on which area they're in, then comparing the numbers to find out if they're in the same area and determining whether the player is within range of the ember by that method. It's inelegant as all hell, but it appears to be the only option given the limitations.

EDIT: And it works, to a degree. It'll require a lot of tweaking and adjusting before it's playable, but at least it's proof of concept. Thanks anyway Frontcannon. Smile

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM by Phoroneus.)
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Entity-connected lights and areas (1 of 2 solved) - by Phoroneus - 02-01-2011, 10:16 PM