The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1
Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism

Now I don't know if I have any authority to speak of such things considering that I have not made a custom story myself. But I figured it would be ok if I made a thread to talk about how the development of custom stories can be improved.

I simply to open up a general discussion on problems people have been having with custom stories. I think this thread is a good idea because aspiring developers can read up without having to look through every single Showcase thread.

I have played almost every custom story released (yes I very much love Amnesia), I have found some stories to be rather good and others to be terribly frustrating.

Things I believe to preferential in development
Spoiler below!

1. Too many jump scares. The original Amnesia story used these sparingly and thats why I loved it. I am sick of having the monster run up to me and dissolve into nothingness. It's a cheap way of generating fear that does not rely on the atmosphere. I play Amnesia because of it's immersion of fear, not because I want to be given a heart-attack.

2. Looping music when it's not necessary, more of a preference really I guess, but having to hear "07_amb" again and again drives me nuts.

3. Giving the lantern but no oil initially when the map is too dark. It's pointless to give the lantern if you can't use it (and you need it immediately). To be fair, Justine did this though it never relied on the lantern.

Things I believe to be important in development

Spoiler below!

1. BETA Testing. I cannot stress this enough. In many custom stories, I have fallen through the map geometry and have been forced to restart, I have missed details that were core to puzzles, or have tried to do tasks that should be simple but are only performable if if clicked on a particular point. Please Beta Test your custom stories, alongside another person if possible.

2. Proofreading. Especially if English is not your first language, ask someone to check your written work (letters, memos, etc) for improvement.

3. Hiding core items behind paintings, ontop of shelves, or in fires. If you are going to hide an item in a small place, try to give the player a hint before hand. No one wants want to run around a small room for more than fifteen minutes looking for something.

06-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism - by Quizerno - 06-01-2011, 02:24 AM