Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia - problems with getting scared?
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia - problems with getting scared?

"This is not good" was ment as a general conclusion that general adventure-like story game wont offer you 3 choices on every advancement of the plot. "That's not good" was meant to state that even though in real life the hero would have much broader choices, we have to narrow them because otherwise we make a lot of content out of which player will only see a part. (Replayability is good in games that are supposed to be replayed like KOTOR).

But generally, in an "open" world, that's what is going to happen - you WILL have choices. So, in order to narrow those choices, we "Break" them - make them unwanted (your hero would hesitate to break the lift and climb down the shaft, he will try to fix it if possible) or outright blocked (caveins, barred doors).

What i was trying to communicate is that while devlopers look at this from the point "player sees that this door is blocked, that way is caved in, so he chooses to go this way" and thats fine. But when this "path a is blocked, path b is blocked, my only choice is path c" happens over and over, you start to wonder - what is the chance of all those paths being so conviniently blocked so that only one path always remains? And here i tried to make an example (poor one i think since you didnt get it, sorry) that if we take a natural situation, where random events "break" paths (key for this door is lost or in unaccessable place, this path is caved in, etc) we will very hardly be left with a situation when its always ONE way forward. Most likely, some places would still have alternate routes available!

And i dont see why you say its a sloppy design when there is a choice that doesnt have a reason to exist.

Like, i'm walking 15 minutes to a metro station every work day and i have 3 general routes around the blocks to take (except unreasonable ones that will lenghten my journey). Every route is completely optional and MUST not be there - road is of same quality - generic asphalt, time spent is very similar, no danger or benefit walking either of one.
Yet if i'd be playing a game where i'd be the player character, and story of my life is told, that starts with a typical day of me going to work, it would feel unnatural to have one road under repairs and other route blocked by a crime scene line, only leaving one way to walk. Because that is unnatural to have in this setting!
07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amnesia - problems with getting scared? - by Istrebitel - 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM