Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: "Who" did you feel like
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I was myself in the game from start to finish
49.63%
67 49.63%
I started out acting as myself and then slowing acted more as Daniel as I learned about him.
38.52%
52 38.52%
I acted as Daniel from start to finish.
11.85%
16 11.85%
Total 135 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia

I was playing pretty much myself the entire game, but there is an interesting duality that emerges between the old and "new" Daniel. Because of the amnesia mixture, Daniel wakes up pretty much a blank template that you can fill into in any way you wish. As the game progresses and you learn more about Daniel, it's not really like the game is forcing his personality on you, but more like you are learning about another person altogether. The pre-amnesia Daniel did what he did under completely different circumstances and the new Daniel can really only act on instinct (which gives the player a lot of room for his own opinions).

I really disagree with the hidden game mechanic that keeps track of how "evil" you are (seeing how torture devices work is purely out of curiosity - they were clearly empty) and decides whether some sister that is only briefly mentioned lives or dies. I think it's unnecessary and quite black and white, then again I disliked the multiple endings to Amnesia as well, which I found to be incredibly weak. The only person I've discussed the game with at length is my nephew and we both agreed that we had imagined a different scenario when the note in the beginning said: "Go to the Inner Sanctum, find Alexander and kill him". It sounds so dark and brutal. When I hear a sentence like that I imagined going to the Inner Sanctum (which I imagined to be something more like a large library), killing Alexander which is totally helpless and the game just ends. Personally I find the whole knocking down pillars/throwing a severed head into a portal really ruins the entire atmosphere of the game. I know Amnesia doesn't really support NPCs, but I would have been totally fine with a cutscene or anything apart from the ending we got. I know it would have taken a lot of rewrites but I don't think Alexander being some kind of alien from another dimension is interesting at all, and it really ruins the great premise the intro sets up. Anyway, that's the game and it was excellent, but that's my opinion. Something to think about perhaps.
12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM