Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture

Yeah I agree. Although Penumbra (Overture, Black Plague next) is classed as a horror, there wasn't a lot of "horror moments." There were a few scares, but they were just jumpy moments. Fair enough getting chased by a giant worm and blocking tunnels is intense, but thats just to keep the player on edge. I see horror as some weird creatures (Like Floppy Jaw) and some gore elements, but Black Plague seems to have that element.

Amnesia doesn't really do that, apart from running from that monster through the barriers or in Justine pulling gears and leavers at the end. As you said, It's literally, walk, read a note, weird noise, run from monster, hide, walk and repeat. It works well though cause the setting and atmosphere is amazing.

Starting off in a castle was kinda cool though, this was one of the first proper horrors I've played. Not knowing what your doing here and what to expect. Penumbra did it better with the mine, again not knowing what to expect and what to find and cause you weren't meant to go in there, it was only as shelter. I've seen the start of Black Plague in the room, works the same way.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Slightly disappointed by Penumbra Overture - by BrooksyFC - 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM