Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Amnesia Custom Story (The Abductions)
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Amnesia Custom Story (The Abductions)

Ok, I finished it after working around the issues I was having. Here are my thoughts: (Please keep in mind I mean all of this to be constructive, not offensive, I am simply telling you my opinions to help you improve)

Spoiler below!
Major problems: The levers still didn't work, after restarting the game, trying the combination immediately (the one you gave me) and nothing happened. I don't know what was causing it, the code seemed ok, but it is what it is. In the future, avoid creating puzzles where the player has to guess to get the answer. Puzzles are meant to be solved, not guessed at until it happens to work.

Clipping issues. Everywhere. I know this is your first map, but you should really do everything you can to avoid it. It is very damaging to immersion, and many people see it as the result of laziness (I understand that clipping can happen, but it just happened way too much. Seemed like every room.)

You were missing ceilings in certain areas. Such as room with the lightning at the end, and in the Kitchen, just at the top of the stairs.

Lighting was pretty basic, nothing special to say really, it didn't seem like you did much with it except the red and blue/green, but again, lighting isn't easy to get right on your first go-round.

As for story, I take it English is not your first language, but I commend you for having better grammar than many English-speaking people I know. There wasn't much of a story there, though. All I know is, apparently I have been abducted, and the grunts are helping because they want revenge. Fair enough. But that's basically all there is. There isn't a back story. There isn't any real information on the bad guy. There wasn't much explanation as to why I have to fill a pot with my blood to set them free. Again, this isn't a HUGE problem, but I would suggest trying to make more story elements in the future.

There are many places where the music conflicted with itself, such as another track trying to play while another is active, and tracks continuing into a new map when it shouldn't (this may just be an issue for me, I have never seen it happen the way it did before).

Take it easy on some of the particle systems. Especially in the caged area with the brute and kaernks. There are fog boxes for that purpose.

Try to make your architecture make sense. Everything you could possibly need to build a map (the infrastructure, at least) is right there. Door ways, door frames, welders, pillars, etc. I would suggest just going through and checking out what kinds of things you can use, so you can plan ahead to make better environments.

Overall, I would say it was a decent attempt for your first time. There are many things that can be improved upon, but many of them come with experience, patience, and a bit of experimentation. Don't be afraid to use things as they weren't meant to be used, but also make sure everything makes sense to be where it is.

Once again, for emphasis, I don't mean any of this to be offensive. These are just the things I noticed, and I think you could make an excellent custom story if you use what I have said to make your next one better.

03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amnesia Custom Story (The Abductions) - by Anxt - 03-03-2012, 05:36 AM