Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game Making (MMO)
Creator Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Game Making (MMO)

(03-25-2012, 02:00 PM)nackidno Wrote: If you have never made a game before, an MMO is actually the worst possible place to start. Make something like pong or space invaders first so that you get the hang of simple game mechanics.

You say you have little experience in scripting (and by scripting I take it that you mean programming?) then I suggest that you read as much as you can, buy/rent books, read articles, browse the big programming communities for samples to examine and learn from.

Another tip: play games. But not for the sake of just playing them but take notes of stuff that are interesting: game mechanics, puzzles, sound design, art design, all that stuff. You will learn a great deal about game design by just observing and examining other games.

Good luck!
I have created some basic games (maybe I should of mentioned that above Smile) such as pong and brickbreakers, even the start of a 2D RPG (only got as far as walking around, picking up a few items, making guns fire in cursor direction and count ammo, with the most basic commands). I will take a look around to find out what I can on programing.

I pulled Penumbra apart once, that was pretty fun, wrote down a walkthrough, looked at the mechanics, even drew up a map of the complex Big Grin . Love the gravity and mechanics in it!

Thanks for advice, hopefuly I can learn some programing Big Grin

Do you have any suggestion on what (free) programs I can use to get me started and or game idea for first project? I've used Game Maker, 3D Rad, Google Sketchup, Unity and a few others.

P.S
Should I be learning C++ Programing?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM by Creator.)
03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Game Making (MMO) - by Creator - 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by Khyrpa - 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by eliasfrost - 03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by Creator - 03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by Traggey - 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by Creator - 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM
RE: Game Making (MMO) - by Arvuti - 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM