Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How accurate are the physics in Penumbra/Amnesia
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
[Amnesia] The physics are accurate.
48.48%
16 48.48%
[Amnesia] The physics are not very accurate.
6.06%
2 6.06%
[Penumbra] The physics are not very accurate.
12.12%
4 12.12%
[Penumbra] The physics are accurate.
33.33%
11 33.33%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia?

Bridge Wrote:The only way you can program realistic physics of course is to use the appropriate mathematical equations

That is true however the physics are not always accurate in other games... for example...

When driving a car in an open world game each game differs...

GTA 4 - driving physics are fairly realistic hence the reason a lot of users complain about it because it is hard to drive (because of how real it is xD).
Saints Row (mainly the third game) - driving physics are not so good but the it still is fun. All cars in the game are able to stop on a dime and make almost every turn.

Bridge Wrote:Therefore if a game's physics engine feels natural then it is accurate. If it doesn't and strange things occur (strange things do occur in Penumbra and Amnesia on occasion) then your suspension of disbelief is immediately broken and the inherent inaccuracy is immediately noticeable.
An issue I've always had with Amnesia is that the physics in Penumbra are more stable than that of Amnesia. When I first joined here I posted a thread about a mattress blowing up due to the fact that I was unaware that mattresses have a bad habit of doing so in game. My question: why is it that the old engine works better (or at least more stable) then the new one?

Reason for edit: had to revise due to bad English :p

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 01:32 AM by darkely.)
05-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just how accurate are the physics in Penumbra and in Amnesia? - by darkely - 05-29-2012, 01:14 AM