Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.

thank you.

i have got the pitch document. thats not a problem, a working prototype is, i dont have the money to finance one from the pro's. personally, and well, not even modders will work on it for free. so im pretty much in big trouble there. another problem is the mechanics, many modern game engines have the gameplay mechanics wrote into them, so if i use cryengine SDK for example, im stuffed, because you can only use COD mechanics as they are written into the engines core code, and if i use source, wich has the correct mechanics for the franchise coded in, it will get laughed out the office for "wasting our time with such an old engine!" and i dont have the money to cook up a special "unique" engine.
a shame, as i know the perfect level to use for the "tech demo", level 4 of chapter 1. that level alone shows of 90% of the games mechanics.

any idea what would make the publishers think its likely to fail? knowing that, i can hopefully alleviate some of those fears.

i can take a rough quess, but, i could be very wide of the mark

1. the old fashioned "outdated" gameplay mechanics. No Squad system (you are on your own 90% of the time), no controll hints (read...the...manual!), No ADS (zoom aim, except on sniper rifles, they have ADS), No health Regeneration (find and "use" a health item!) no Gun Limit (goodness, they are so boring!) No Quick Time Events (quick time events are boring, i like to controll the charachter, not just type U-S-A as fast as possible to "not die"!) no first person cutscenes (they, Really, limit the story!) basically, nothing from COD and its clones. against current markerting "ideals".

2. its storyline focusses on British Issues, not a fictional war against russia or aliens, and stars a Posh British Security Operative, not a silent American Marine. most against the trend for american army propoganda in games (in number 1 the american army plays a small, Antagonistic role in one chapter, thats it!)

3. its focussed on single player, not the ever popular and easy to programme online deathmatch (as i said, mp isnt even in game 1 to keep the budget down!)

am i close with those quesses?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 09:26 PM by the dark side.)
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games. - by the dark side - 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM