Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want?
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want?

@sexbad, i am aware that Soldier Of Fortune II, even with the dynamic hairs kayo'd, has bullet spread, i mean, i have owned the gold edition of the game since new! (and play with the dynamic hairs kayo'd) but the bullet spread is handled very differently to most "modern Shooter" type games.

you see, in SOF II, or many other Silver Age Games, if you circle straffe the enemy with the AK47, you will still actually hit him, and often!, sure, some bullets will miss the target due to bullet spread, but, it will only be about 8 of them, the other 22 are still going to hit the enemy.

whereas in a more modern title, even if you are standing stock still the bullet spread "from the hip" is so extreme, that you are lucky if ONE of the Thirty rounds of 7.65X39 in the magazine hits the target unless you are in sites.

that is highly unrealistic, in a battle it is often impossible to stop and Aim down sites, or even take cover, so soliders are trained to be able to fire reasonably accuratly "from the hip", as seen in the SOF II vid.

as a result, the extreme bulletspread of a modern shooter not only makes the game, in my opinion, pretty darn unplayable (i rank any game that isn't entertaining as unplayable), but it also makes the player look more like an NRA psychopath with no idea how to handle his weapon than a professional soldier.

were as the much lesser levels of bulletspread in a classic, like SOFII, it keeps the game very playable IMO, as you can still circle straffe and run and gun, but the mild levels of innacuracy and bullet spread also makes the game feel more real, but you feel like a pro Spec ops Soldier, who has been trained to handle his gun, hence the 8 AK rounds that miss due to bullet spread are down to the mechanical Innacuracy of the AK, and not because the player avatar doesnt know how to handle the weapon correctly.

i mean my project has a LITTLE bit of bullet spread on some weapons, but its only like 8 out of 30 rounds for the AK that will miss, or 2 out of 30 for say the Mp5 that will miss, to give the guns a little bit of "mechanical innacuracy" so the game feels a tiny bit more real without forcing the player to stand still and aim all the time because the avatar doesnt know how to handle the damn gun!

speaking of turning the dynamic hairs off, the real reason why i hate modern games for having dynamic hairs is because in a modern title you CANT TURN THEM OFF! for some reason, i mean, come on!, how long would it take the developer to programme in an option to change them to static ones, like you could in SOFII, the 2 NOLF Games, the JACK spin off, etc? 5 mins if that, i mean, Resistance 3, a console title! lets you turn the dynamic effect off and go to static crosshairs, so why cant any of the other games out there that use the dynamic effect now?

now, i only posted that SOF II vid because it gave an example of how my own project plays in a shootout situation, it took me a Long time to find any video at all that came close at all!. as in, No health regen, armour and medkit pick ups, GALLONS of blood and gore, static crosshairs, run and gun, peak and lean, circle straffe, no gun-limit, Good old fashioned "old school FPS" fun.

@ ALL, now, please, i must ask people to stop poking holes in my video choices, or going off topic with random "its not realistic so it sukz" (Not had that one yet, but i'm expecting it!) slamdowns.

i know now what graphics and physics engines my dev team will be using, now i know that C.E.3 and PHYS-X can be programmed to do what i want.

so what i want people to do now is ask me questions about the gameplay of the project, so i can create an FAQ gameplay article for Publishers to look at when i present them the gameplay demo. would you help create that FAQ by asking me questions on the gameplay mechanics, or on FUCE and FUIE, or on level thematics, anything that isnt related to story or characthers Please?, thankyou.

TDS
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM by the dark side.)
10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Graphics and physics engines, wich offer what i want? - by the dark side - 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM