Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia

Personally I think the weakest aspects of Frictional's games are the intangibles, such as lore. So far I have been very unimpressed with what they have done. They are nothing short of experts at building up atmosphere and presenting stories in a tense, mysterious fashion (see: Penumbra Overture and first half of Amnesia) but are almost pathetically bad at resolving plots and at designing expository reading material. All of it is too perfect and simplistic and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. I don't want to know what the water monsters are called or where they come from and I don't want the Tuurngait hive mind to talk directly to me, for example (I have plenty more). I will give them this though: they are masters at writing dialogue (and especially casting people to voice act).

EDIT: Also, some things are better when they are not even mentioned or adequately discussed. A prime example of this kind of writing is the movie Cube, which is one of my favorite movies. Literally nothing is established and it is even hinted that there is nothing to explain at all, which makes the movie infinitely more creepy. I don't want to spoil if you haven't seen it but if that's the case you have to go watch it now. The main point is the audience is given enough information for there to be a coherent plot, but enough information is withheld that the imagination can roam free.

Amnesia does this extremely well too though. The difference is that by the end of Cube you are still scared and mystified and by the end of Amnesia nothing is unclear.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 04:02 AM by Bridge.)
12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 01:28 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by nrkist - 12-27-2012, 02:13 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Kein - 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Traggey - 12-28-2012, 03:19 AM