Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia

(12-27-2012, 12:44 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Penumbra is scarier than Amnesia. The mine in Overture is really more earnestly compared to Brennenburg castle and that makes the horror.
In Penumbra I don't feel like to be in a game. In Amnesia, you feel like in a game. That is a horror no-go.

The problem is, that Amnesia has flashbacks which will pull you out of the immersion, and that the environments are less complex and less seriously. Amnesia is more melancholic horror, a contrast between creepy and sissy. And that works good, but it was by far a smaller experience like Penumbra.

I mainly praise Penumbra Overture for its well made horror setting. I felt like to be alone in a leaved mine and that the danger is behind every corner. I really was immersed. Amnesia also has this feeling, but not as much as Penumbra.

So it's totally wrong when you said Penumbra environments are less scary.

I personally played the Penumbra games after completing Amnesia. Penumbra very rarely scared me, the first one has weapons which totally removed the fear factor IMO, the second was better but still not as intense as Amnesia.

I always thought Overture would be better if the enemies had been people rather than dogs, imagine being in that dark mine with no weapons when suddenly a miner appears with yellow glowing eyes and starts chasing you... THAT would freak me out.

01-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 01:28 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by nrkist - 12-27-2012, 02:13 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Kein - 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Bridge - 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by serbusfish - 01-15-2013, 02:57 AM
RE: Penumbra Prequel made in Amnesia - by Traggey - 12-28-2012, 03:19 AM