Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread

(02-07-2013, 02:14 AM)nackidno Wrote: What I like in RPGs is:
  • Player-dictated character development, from looks to attributes and skills, and what order I want them to progress
  • Meaningful player input, such as branching dialogue that have meaning for the story and plot
  • Non-linear gameplay, side quests, the ability to put the main objective on halt for a sec and go create my own storyline within the world without constantly being reminded that I need to go kill the big bad guy.
  • Make the game react to my decisions, like my companions and how they feel about me, and how the world will shape by my actions.

Those are the criteria that makes an RPG for me, and JRPGs certainly don't apply to even half of those points, again these are my preferences. So the conclusion would be that JRPGs are too strict and hold the players hand throughout the game, not by making it easy, but guidance through the story and how it unfolds in strictly one way. For me, JRPGs are nothing more than Adventure games with brief RPG elements, not full fledged RPGs. Funny thing is that the initial idea about JRPGs was to create a streamlined one button presser for the early consoles, not to create a solid RPG experience (actual roleplaying, hence the name).

Which is why Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are so good. More RPG, less action. Some American RPG's are too open and force you to wander aimlessly and offer brief, terrible endings to games (Fallout 3 specifically, Elderscrolls series, Borderlands series, etc.).

But both sides and ups and downs. Too open, too closed, too linear, too focused on graphics, etc. Smile

90% of RPGs are fucking amazing, regardless of nationality. However, I have to disagree with you saying that JRPGs are not real RPGs. The J stands for Japanese. It's like saying horror FPS and action FPS. They are still both Shooters.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 02:25 AM by crisosphinx.)
02-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread - by crisosphinx - 02-07-2013, 02:23 AM