Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update

(02-19-2013, 07:35 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(02-19-2013, 07:15 PM)Minecrawler Wrote:
Spoiler below!
Hello Jens,
I'm following this game for a while and finally wanted to tell you something about "how to improve immersion" and also for all the others working on this game!

First I have to say is, that I played Penumbra first, then Amnesia and now Silent Hill.
Amnesia was a great game, surely. But you guys did something wrong in gamedesign with the texts and where you now are translating AMFP, I will tell you some important things to improve immersion. Because a major problem of Amnesia are the texts.
Penumbra and Silent Hill did it better, so let me explain early:

In Amnesia the texts are written as by a third person, not thought as the player's minds. So, it seems like more as a hint by the game instead to be part of the player itself.
Some simple examples:
"Find the key for wine cellar."
"Press J to open journal."
"Follow the trail and find their source."

Also do never use words like "You must, you should, you can" etc. Do never use commands for what the player have to do! That seems like to be in a game and it's killing the immersion in best grades.
Do it like in Penumbra, that the player is writing or thinking his minds of the actual situation or puzzles.
The texts normally should be like:

"I found a locked door into wine cellar, but certainly there must be a key to unlock it."
"When I press J, my journal can be opened."
"Hmm... there's a trail on the ground... should I follow it to find their source?"

That means to make the game more adventure-feeling with a positive effect to immersion.
Do use words that shows the player is thinking and obscure what to do. Do use words that shows "I am, I have to etc. and not You.

That's not only for the tranalstion, you also should check the original english texts by thechineseroom if they are well done or not. Please, that's so much important for the feeling to be in a game and not only playing it.

You did it right in Penumbra, so I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a little more work, but it's very important for the impression of general experience!
I hope you will understand my advices and what you did wrong in Amnesia.
I just wanted to say that before it's too late.

Keep that good old work on!

Thanks,
Minecrawler

This is your first post. Way to make an impression on everyone. Hell, if you think you can do it so good, make an entire game with your own budget and release it a year or two from now!

You don't have a budget or any idea on how to make art/ 3d models/ etc. and code (or program) your own engine from scratch? Good luck with that.

(Also, way to go on your spelling and grammatical errors. You are a real 'bro', ain't-cha?)

Thanks,
Crisosphinx

Im not saying im approving of what the guy is saying but what you're saying is abselutely ridiculous criso.
Should the guy not be allowed to criticize a game simply because he could not do better himself?
Though with an arrogant style to it he clearly tries to come with proper arguments for his claims so theres nothing wrong with him criticizing it IMO.
Of you course also have the right to counter his arguments but of all the smart things in the world you could have said you come with the silly "you could not have done it better yourself".
02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update - by WALP - 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM