Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update

Quote: An other example is when there's a locked door:

"It's locked, you must find an other way around."

"It seems to be locked, perhaps I have to find an other way around."

Which text do you think is better for immersion and credibility?
Neither, for the reasons I already stated. The best thing for me would be a handwritten-looking note that simply says "Door in cellar is locked." or "Find way around locked door". Notes that sound like something I'd actually write, since I don't give instructions to myself by saying "I should do..." .

Actually, the BEST thing for me would be an empty notebook into which I can write notes myself. Unfortunately, not many games have such a thing, especially not modern ones.
Quote: Penumbra has no "combat" it is not a system to kill enemies! That's what people also don't understand. The goal of Penumbra never was to fight back like a superhero. The "combat" is just a very good idea to improve complexity of the game to solve puzzles and other stuff. Anyway, that are not "weapons" it's meaned just as "tools". Well, the player will be able to fight, but it's heavy to handle and not really the goal of the
game.
Yes and no. It is true that most players did not understand how the combat system was intended in Penumbra. Frictional said so themselves in their talk at GDC.
However, in the end this is still a flaw of the game itself. Of course every game that focusses on immersion requires the player to "play along" to a certain degree. But that doesn't change the fact that a game which makes this easier for the player is superior to one that makes it difficult.

They found out that including combat was distracting for most players and made it hard for them to feel the intended horror - partly due to being used to a certain combat-induced mindset from playing other games of course. Therefore they decided to remove the combat element from Black Plague and Amnesia, making them scarier for most people.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM