Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Tokenism, Character Development and Writing
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Tokenism, Character Development and Writing

Basically agreed - although I think that including certain types of characters in order to make the story more balanced is good writing. If the balance relies on the person possessing any of the external qualities you mentioned, then I don't see the problem. Still, including non-Caucasian people purely out of white guilt for example is absolutely undesirable, as you said.

I think the setting should dictate the types of characters above all. If you're making a WWII movie set in Nazi Germany then you clearly cannot cast non-Caucasians as SS soldiers. You just cannot. It's got nothing to do with racism - the ground rules have already been established and the fact that there are only Caucasians is consistent with the story and setting. It makes perfect sense and has no hidden agenda behind it.

BTW, political correctness is the bane of our modern society - it should die a horrible death, preferably public crucifixion. Upside down and at the end of a bungee cord.
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tokenism, Character Development and Writing - by Bridge - 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM