Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia

(08-11-2013, 09:57 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: That wasn't my point, the movement and handling are of a minor importance for me. Amnesia is better in the elements of the story, atmosphere, and is many times more horrifying than Penumbra. For me Penumbra, while a decent game, just doesn't deliver quite a punch like Amnesia.

I agree the story is superior, but I find the story in Amnesia to be considerably weak as well. I think the real improvement was in the storytelling, not the story itself. The first half of Amnesia has an admirable sense of dread and mystery to it and the set-up is simply put amazing - but I think the way it progressed and the way it was eventually tied up was monumentally bad, passable at best.

In regards to the atmosphere, I think both games are equal. Different, but in terms of having an oppressively thick atmosphere and number of/effectiveness of scares I think they are pretty much exactly equal. The only difference, in my opinion, is that the scariness in Amnesia is mostly smoke and mirrors, but since this is almost imperceptible if you're properly immersed I don't think it should be considered in any serious manner.

As for your statement that it doesn't deliver the same punch as Amnesia, I wonder whether it's possible you forgot the final third of Penumbra: Black Plague, which I consider to be comparable to or even superior to the majority of Amnesia. It is incredibly scary and in my opinion the way the tension builds and builds until the end is handled with much more finesse than in Amnesia. The idea in both cases is identical, essentially a

Spoiler below!
giant fetch quest.

Only, in Penumbra I am always genuinely afraid to continue because this section is filled with very uncomfortable sections, whereas in Amnesia I was annoyed at the prospect of having to gather all of these orb pieces.

It was transparent and you could almost say it was padding which I found very unwelcome seeing as the game had been going on for too long by that point. And these are not old recollections poisoning my opinion, I just recently replayed it and found the experience identical.
08-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia - by Bridge - 08-11-2013, 11:23 PM