The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is it worth it lowring your standards to enjoy something more?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I place enjoying myself irrationally as being more important than being a critic.
38.46%
5 38.46%
No, a lackluster piece of work is a lackluster piece of work, and I refuse to adjust my standards for such a thing.
38.46%
5 38.46%
Other type of answer (State below)
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is the Point in having High Standards?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
What is the Point in having High Standards?

Hey there everyone! Another thread in which you can throw around your two cents about a subject matter.

This time the question I want to ask you is: What is the point in having high standards?

Something I've heard many gamers, or entertainment enthusiasts in general complain about is that they think standards in media have been declining recently (Whether, or not it really is is for another topic entirely). They think that the "average consumer" is easily satisfied by something they deem to be lacking in quality, and not fulfilling their own high standards.

However, take a step back, and think this: Even if, EVEN IF it's true, and standards are lower nowadays with people being more easily pleased is there really anything wrong with that? Is there really anything wrong with lower standards? Like playing a game with lower standards will mean that you'll more likely have a good time with it, and not pick the entire thing apart, and deem it lackluster.

Also, if it would you to enjoy a title more by lowering your standards, and not take it as seriously, what's stopping us? What is there to gain by standing by our own higher standards? Is it so that when truly exceptional titles that surpass these higher standards come along we appreciate them all the more? Is it just in our nature to pursue excellence, and improvement, and be upset when it doesn't come by? Or perhaps something else?

Also, is it even possible to lower your standards even if you tried? Might it just for some people result in false grins playing a game going "Yeah this is really fun!" with a tear trailing down their face?

Answer the poll, and feel free to comment what you think below! As always, there isn't necessarily a definite correct answer for this!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2013, 02:33 PM by Kreekakon.)
08-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
What is the Point in having High Standards? - by Kreekakon - 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM