Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is it worth it lowring your standards to enjoy something more?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I place enjoying myself irrationally as being more important than being a critic.
38.46%
5 38.46%
No, a lackluster piece of work is a lackluster piece of work, and I refuse to adjust my standards for such a thing.
38.46%
5 38.46%
Other type of answer (State below)
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is the Point in having High Standards?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: What is the Point in having High Standards?

I think I'll try to bring this thread back to life a bit, since I don't think it's exactly quite done yet.

(08-20-2013, 12:31 PM)Prelauncher Wrote: A lot of smart and good points have been made in this thread. I'd also like to raise the point that isn't peoples high standards one of the main driving forces behind development and improvement? If everyone would lower their standards and stop criticizing then game makers, movie makers, writers, musicians etc. would have no goal to strive for. A few of them would still keep improving and progressing because of their artistic spirit but whatever they made better would be pointless since no one would notice it. There would be no one to call them out and say that they could have done a better job. So I say that high standards are an important part in every medium in order for it to keep evolving and improving.

That's a very good point, and I don't think it's possible to argue against it.

Now I think we'll shift the topic a bit (You can still comment on high standards in general if you want!): If you have a high standard do you think it alright to turn off your "highly critical mode" to go into pure brainless entertainment mode? Is it still sometimes like what Bridge said, "impossible" to go into this state even if you know you have potential to be serious, but are just doing it just to enjoy yourself?

What I think is that some forms of media are actually designed to require you to do this, to alter your standards accordingly. For instance if a work doesn't take itself seriously then you don't need to take it seriously to enjoy it, and saying that you didn't like it because you were in "serious" mode the whole time I'd say means you were really just looking at the piece of work the wrong way.

For some other works, depending on how redeeming some of its other factors are, like Equestria Girls, I can still find it in myself to enjoy it even if I know I really disliked the movie.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM by Kreekakon.)
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Point in having High Standards? - by Kreekakon - 08-27-2013, 05:37 PM