Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

History of the Universe and Earth
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: History of the Universe and Earth

(09-01-2013, 05:01 PM)BAndrew Wrote: @Bridge

Quote:How is assuming the existence of a creator to explain how the universe came into being logical, when that in fact is creating something out of nothing?

I think YourComputer's argument was that the creator was not created, but existed forever. But this is impossible because there is no forever. Time had a beginning (Assuming Big Bang theory is true. If the Big Bang is not true then there is no need for a creator as the Universe could exist forever).

However, I agree with your statement. More or less God is a creation out of nothing (Nothing made God).

Quote:There is no evidence supporting the existence of a creator and therefore, if Occam's Razor is adhered to, it is illogical to make any conclusions which are based on that concept. I mean honestly, it's like solving an equation like x=y by assigning an arbitrary value to x!

Again you are absolutely right on this. But I want to point out that we are not trying to prove or disprove the existance of a creator rather than the need for one. And (at least as I view it) there is no need.

1) It appears I was not clear enough in my words. By "create something out of nothing" I was not referring to the creator being created, but us creating the idea of a creator (out of nothing, no evidence).

2) Which is not my goal either. I oppose only the logic in making such an assumption. After all, it is possible for something to be true even if it's illogical*, despite what YC says (if there is insufficient evidence to make a conclusion anything you conclude (excepting the opposite or most logically neutral conclusion (makes the fewest assumptions)) must necessarily be illogical, even if it happens to be true once there is evidence to support it). Do you understand what I was/am going for?

* However this only holds true at the time when the illogical conclusion was made. Naturally what he said about the correlation between truth and logic is sound, but not all-inclusive. In other words, once all the pertinent information has been gathered the truest conclusion is of course most the logical one.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2013, 05:16 PM by Bridge.)
09-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Nice - 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Bridge - 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Tiger - 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Bridge - 08-31-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Froge - 09-01-2013, 02:15 AM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Bridge - 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Bridge - 09-01-2013, 05:13 PM
RE: History of the Universe and Earth - by Bridge - 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM